Tilt and Roll Radians won't initialize

Discussion in 'Radian' started by Mike Peters, Jun 10, 2013.

1. Mike Peters

Mike Peters Member

Aircraft Type: Cinestar 8 with HL mods
    Gimbal Type: 3 Axis

Radian Type ( 1, 2 , 3 axis) 3 Axuis
    Gimbal Power source: 1200mah 3S Lipo
    Gimbal Radio Type: Spektrum DX8
    Radian Communication Protocol (S.Bus, PPM, PWM, Spektrum) Spektrum

Connections: Change these to match your setup
    Roll Sensor:
    Port
    1. From Pan Sensor
    3. To Tilt Sensor
    4. To Roll Servo
    Tilt Sensor
    Port
    1. From Roll Sensor
    4. To Tilt Servo
    Pan Sensor
    Port
    1. Power
    3. to Roll Sensor
    4. To Pan Servo

I've searched the forum and tried everything I can find without a solution.

Thanks in advance for your assistance.

Attached Files:

2. Gary Haynes

Gary Haynes Administrator
    Staff Member

Mike can you be more descriptive when you say they won't initialize? What lights do you see on the Radians? How are you powering them? Hace you mapped the Mode which is set to Channel 7 to the appropriate 3 way switch on your DX8?

3. Mike Peters

Mike Peters Member

The orange led is solid which indicates a good S-Bus connection and the green led blinks slowly. The power is coming from the receiver into port 1 on the pan Radian. Yes, Mode is set to Channel 7. When I toggle the switch, I can see the state change in the input monitor and it will cause the pan to start spinning.

4. Gary Haynes

Staff Member

Sounds like normal operation. If you place the tilt and roll axis out of balance, power everything up with the mode switch off and then move it to the center position the Green light should go steady and the roll and tilt should move back to a balanced position. If that is not happening then something is wrong.

5. Mike Peters

Mike Peters Member

Gary, tried moving tilt & roll out of balance, powered on with the switch off, moved to the center position and still nothing.

6. Gary Haynes

Staff Member

Ok doesn't make sense. Can you shoot a video, cell phone horizontal is fine. To keep it simple for now bypass the Pan and connect your RX to the Roll making it the first in the chain. Then Power up in Mode 0 (no power to the Radians), switch to Mode 1 and tilt the copter to see if the gimbal moves.

Also did you replace the other connector on the each of the servos with the supplie resistor plug in pack?

7. Mike Peters

Mike Peters Member

Gary, Here's a video of what I'm seeing. Also, yes I have resistors plugged into each of the servos. They can be seen in the video if you look for them. Thanks, Mike

8. John Cunningham

Hi Mike,

It looks like the problem is that the motor is not being driven as opposed to an electronic setup issue.

Can you plug a regular servo into port4 of the roll Radian and try the same test as above to see if the servo is driven.

No need for a video : just tell us what the servo does.

Also, check you didn't configure the servos to be '760us' on the PC app config window.

JohnC

9. Gary Haynes

Staff Member

Looks like the servo is connected to port 3 on the roll axis. Needs to be on port 4. At least I think I see 3 sets of pins above it.

10. Mike Peters

Mike Peters Member

It appears that I have a bad roll servo. I plugged the tilt servo into the roll Radian and it responded. When I tried John's suggestion with the tilt server, it behaved as expected.

I'll contact Quadrocopter and get a new roll servo.

Thanks for all of the help!

11. Mike Peters

Mike Peters Member

Also turns out that I had "Off except when using Spektrum" turned on for all Radians. Turning it off fixed the problem I was having with the tilt. Now I just need a new roll servo.

12. Scott Stemm

Scott Stemm Member

I was having the exact same symptoms that you were having on the roll. Noticed my servo was getting hot. After many waisted hours found it was the resistor connector was not connected correctly. A little push on the connector and everything back to normal.