/dist/images/branding/favicon

Three flashing lights init. Failed. Help.

Discussion in 'MōVI M10' started by Brett Harrison, Sep 22, 2013.

1. Jason Charles Smith

Jason Charles Smith New Member

I'm having this same problem. I can't get the M10 to initialize. It was working fine on Wednesday in the office but now I'm up in Tahoe on a shoot and the thing is dead in the water so to speak. I've checked all connections to the point of pulling them out and resetting them and flashed to the newest firmware. Still nothing. Just 3 blinking lights. When I write the default config to the M10 it does tilt the camera so the lens is pointing straight up. I've never seen it do that before.

Does anybody have any other suggestions to try and solve this issue? The client is not happy as this is a pre-shoot for a huge heli-skiing shoot in AK next week. Thanks in advance for any help.

2. Andy Johnson-Laird

Andy Johnson-Laird Administrator
    Staff Member

Jason: I'd email support@freeflysystems.com right away. Not sure who from Freefly will be reading the forum today but they'll see your email first thing tomorrow for sure. It sounds like you've done all the right things to try and diagnose the problem, but:

Any chance the battery is suspect and you could try another one?
    Do you have a remote control that you could try?
    And I infer you're holding the MōVI still when you power it up.... (just trying to eliminate possible causes so sorry if I'm telling you something you already know!)

Sorry I can't be of more immediate help.
    Andy.

3. Jason Charles Smith

Jason Charles Smith New Member

Thanks Andy. I actually did email support before I posted. Just was hoping I was being an idiot and there was an easy fix. Unfortunately it seems one of the gimbal main controllers is having an issue so it's off to FreeFly for repair. Thanks Rich for working with me yesterday on this issue.

4. Jacob Russell

Jacob Russell New Member

Hi, I'm getting the three blinking lights and trying to trouble shoot this issue. Looks like I probably need to unplug some things, but not sure where to start. Tabb, I read that you were going to upload a diagram, but I didn't see one as I read through the discussion. Is it somewhere here and I missed it? Any help would be much appreciated as we're shooting tomorrow. Thank you.

5. Gary Haynes

Gary Haynes Administrator
    Staff Member

Jacob when you power up make sure there is no movement going on and the gimbal is reasonably in a normal attitude. If there is movement, swinging, etc. the three lights flashing are normal. Means the computers can't compute...

6. Jacob Russell

Jacob Russell New Member

Okay, thanks Gary. We'll make sure. If it still blinks though, are there instructions on what to unplug and plug back in?

7. Gary Haynes

Gary Haynes Administrator
    Staff Member

Jacob if that doesn't do it send a note to support before you start pulling cables.

8. Scott Strimple

So I'm not sure if the Gimbal Motor Control Box is the same on the M5 as the M10 but I believe I was told that it is. That being said.. I have experienced the exact same 3 blinking light issue on the M5. After following all of the direction to check the plugs at the motors.. I decided to remove the top cover of the Gimbal Motor Control box and viola.. I found the plug just a little unseated. The shielded cable was in fact tie wrapped and as such I had not suspected that it would be the culprit so hadn't checked it until after the process of elimination it was the only wire I had not looked at. Here is picture from the M5 thread. Everything worked fine after securing the plug.
    http://forum.freeflysystems.com/index.php?attachments/img_0406-jpg.5411/

9. Ben Ruffell

Ben Ruffell Active Member

Happened to me as well.

Unit back to Freefly.

Down time and lost revenue.

Only advice from Freefly was to check all cables are seated. (Which they were).

I really wish they would have a better error reporting system that took advantage of all of their fancy technology.

But then, I also wish that all of the connectors and plugs were protected and not exposed, and that the emergency repair kit offered spare boards and components that we could use to fix a fault in the field. (Happy to pay more for a 'Pro Emergency Repair Kit').

10. Thanks Ben. I know our Engineers are looking at more meaningful error messaging as we (especially those of us on the front lines of support) know how important those can be. With regards to the repair kit, I think the focus is on designing changes and upgrades to the unit that would allow for little to no emergency field fixing beyond very basic elements but I will definitely make sure the engineers are aware of your suggestions.

11. Ben Ruffell

Ben Ruffell Active Member

Maybe start by protecting all of the cables and plugs. Internal wiring and connectors that can't wiggle loose would be a very good start. Locking connectors. A switch that is not exposed would be high on the list. Weather protection for all of the components… I could go on.

12. John Sarkis

John Sarkis New Member

Can someone help me, I've got the exact same problem. I just bought the Movi M10, powered on the device and lights keep flashing. I've checked all the cables and it doesn't seem to be working.

Also I've downloaded the android application to my Samsung device but for some reason I can't find the Movi; can someone help me!

13. Brett Harrison

Brett Harrison Active Member

Ah my old newbie thread. Very nostalgic, I remember the feeling of panic! :-D

If you're on set right now, PM me your Skype and I'll try and help you.

Obviously lodge a support request if you haven't - that's the better avenue than the forum if you can afford to wait a bit.

With the Samsung you have to pair it with the blue tooth system - but until you can successfully boot the MoVI I don't believe it will show up as a device - but I might be wrong.

Regardless, you should be able to boot the MoVI with or without the tablet.

When you boot the system how much time does it take for the lights to start flashing? Could you time it exactly?

For me it was due to a jack being unseated from one of the motors. Each motor has two and they can look like they're in, but they're not. Use the Freefly 2.5 driver to push them in, being careful not to push against the wires.

Graham Futerfas likes this.
  14. John Sarkis

John Sarkis New Member

Hi Brett,

I've sent you a private message, please let me know when you've got it because I'd really like to chat with you via skype to get this fixed lol It's really starting to annoy me.

Honestly I came across this forum and thought, thank god someone else is having the same exact issue hahaha Hope to hear from you soon.

John

15. John Sarkis

John Sarkis New Member

Its literally between 2-5 seconds before the lights begin flashing and then it just continues for 5 minutes flashing away without it going solid. I've tried all the plugs and pushing them in but unfortunately I have no idea where to start..............

16. Graham Futerfas

Graham Futerfas Well-Known Member

Did you try holding the Movi really still while you boot? If it's moving at all, the lights will flash and fail initialization.

I keep a hand on the Movi when I turn it on and don't let go until the Movi motors take over. Also, it doesn't like the camera pointed up or down too far when booting, so I keep the camera in a neutral position.

And I'm sure you'll soon get a friendly message from Andy to switch to using a real name on the forum instead of a handle.

Good luck. It's very nice of Brett to offer to Skype. Hopefully he'll get you sorted. The Movi is awesome but takes some getting used to.

17. Devin Card

Devin Card Member

You can try reinstalling the firmware if Grahams advice doesnt work.

18. We have seen the 'reinstall your firmware' myth fly around randomly on the forum. Reinstalling firmware is not a 'Magic Wand', so to speak.

Reinstalling firmware should never be used as a troubleshooting step, when having an issue with a MoVI. All you do by installing firmware again, is replace the existing firmware, with the same firmware.
    It does nothing to resolve an issue physical/mechanical issue with the MoVI, nor does it fix any faulty encoder, loose connection, or improper balancing and tuning, etc., etc..

You also increase the chance you will 'Brick' the unit, if you do not perform the firmware install procedure properly.

If you have an issue with your MoVI, we ask that you please contact us at support@freeflysystems.com, before you decide to perform any troubleshooting on your own.

19. John Sarkis

John Sarkis New Member

Hi Graham,

I will change name if necessary, no issues.

I've tried keeping my hand on the device whilst initialising but no avail unfortunately. I've checked all the plugs because I noticed the 'pan' motor was unplugged so I put it back in gentle but still nothing seems to be working.

Also the other major problem is that I can't get my movi and app on my smartphone connected together to see how perfect balanced the device is.....

Also Chris, I've just lodged a ticket with support@freeflysystems.com, so I hope someone from Freefly can help me but I believe Brett is also going to help me.

Thanks,
    John

20. Andy Johnson-Laird

Andy Johnson-Laird Administrator
    Staff Member

Hi John:

I held off sending you the name change reminder because you are obviously dealing with a stressful failure and it seems churlish to respond to it with a name change request!

But, If it's not too much trouble, would you be kind enough to change your user name to your real first name and last name, please? The reasons for this (and how to do it) are explained here: http://forum.freeflysystems.com/index.php?threads/real-names.497/
    Thanks
    Andy

Forensic Software & sUAV / Drone Analyst : Photographer : Videographer : Pilot (Portland, Oregon, USA): Trees=2, Ground=1, Props=11. :(
    The Ground Is The Limit™
    ---------- Forensic Drone Analyst : Forensic sUAV Analyst : Forensic Unmanned Aircraft Analyst : Forensic Drone Expert

Chris Harrison likes this.