/dist/images/branding/favicon

Three Axis Radian with Spektrum setup

Discussion in 'Radian' started by Andrew-Crinson, May 1, 2013.

1. Andrew-Crinson

Hello everyone.

I'm doing a three axis Radian setup and want to use Spektrum. In the Radian manual the wiring image for spektrum does not show a receiver! only a spektrum satellite. Sorry if I'm being a bit thick but a receiver is required yes? And if so how do I connect tilt and pan? Is it port 2 from pan and tilt into aileron and elevator?

A bit of guidance would be greatly appreciated.

Regards

Andrew

2. Gary Haynes

Gary Haynes Administrator
    Staff Member

If you use the Spektrum receiver there should be an sBus port on it that would normally go to a Satellite RX. On this example unplug the cable from the Satellite and plug it into the Radian. You can use a Satellite if you have previously bound it to a receiver. It will operate as a RX by itself.

Screen Shot 2013-05-01 at 3.49.40 PM.png

3. Andrew-Crinson

Wow thanks Gary. So I bind the Rx (AR8000) with a satellite attached. Then remove the satellite and plug it into the radian.. Leaving the AR8000 on the bench, then power the pan radian with a UBEC at 5v job done? Do I need any extra cables to control the tilt and pan from the DX8 Tx. And will it just know about the 3 position mode switch? Sorry for all the questions.

This is very clever.

4. Gary Haynes

Gary Haynes Administrator
    Staff Member

It won't know about the switch until you assign a channel in the Mode section of the setup software for each Radian. For you tilt and skew Radians you will also assign a channel to the Skew which will map to the appropriate channel/control on your TX.

5. Andrew-Crinson

Okay I understand. I have done one with a Futaba sbus before but not a Spektrum. So the Chanel assignment will be done in the software. I just couldn't get my head round not having a receiver as such.

Thank you.

6. Andy Johnson-Laird

Andy Johnson-Laird Administrator
    Staff Member

Hi Andrew: I had the same thought when I first tried it -- you do have a receiver -- and it's speaking a form of PPM (where all the channels' proportional settings are transmitted in data frames). I've not found out specifically what the data format is -- I didn't need to. JohnC (the Radian's designer) obviously knows and there's a pretty good write-up here: http://diydrones.ning.com/profiles/blog/show?id=705844:BlogPost:64228

If you ever need to re-bind the Satellite to a transmitter you have to connect it back up to the main receiver.

Hope that helps.
    Andy.