/dist/images/branding/favicon

Things you did not know about the Radian

Discussion in 'Radian' started by Tabb Firchau, Sep 26, 2012.

1. Daniele Natale

Daniele Natale New Member

Joe, you were great ..... as a controller or dji wookong m, I did bind to the satellite and is connected ok, but now to assign the channel as I do? thanks in advance without you were two days I felt no results

2. Daniele Natale

Daniele Natale New Member

I turned on dx18 XPLUS but the softwar radian sees me only 8 other channels are orange .... Joe where I'm wrong?

3. Bill Collydas

Bill Collydas Active Member

Hey everybody QC seems to be out of the Radians. I was looking for two Radians tilt and roll.
    Tabb any idea when the Radians will be back in stock?
    Before X-mas I hope?
    Thanks
    Bill

4. Colin

Colin Member

Members Im just reading the above threads and I get the impression that Spektrum DX8 radios are good for camera control but not for controlling the aircraft. Is this correct or am I barking mad all together as we have two DX8's one for flight control and the other for the camera operator.

5. Andy Johnson-Laird

Andy Johnson-Laird Administrator
    Staff Member

For me the main disadvantage is that the Spektrum DX8 doesn't have any telemetry capability and I really like to have the Graupner MX-20 speaking the flight battery voltage out loud when I'm flying. That way I don't have to take my eyes off the bird (and the way I fly I need all the help I can get. But apart from that, I don't think there's any specific reason for avoiding the Spektrum's so, no, you're not barking mad, Colin. :)

Cheers
    Andy.

6. Joe Azzarelli

Joe Azzarelli Active Member

Andy
    Yes, the DX8 has telemetry but it does not talk to you. The DX8 worked great for me but I ran out of channels so upgraded to the DX18.

Joe

7. Andy Johnson-Laird

Staff Member

Thanks, Joe. I sit corrected re: telemetry.

Andy.

8. Gustavo Rios

Gustavo Rios Member

Hi,
    This happen to anyone ?. After one flying and gains change ?, in the next flight the channels of the radio in the radians changed. the pan and tilt had no control, I noticed this in the air, after reviewing settings, I checked the change of channels. why this happened ? someone can explain this ?.

Gustavo

9. Andy Johnson-Laird

Staff Member

Hi Gustavo:
    Are you saying that the slew and mode channels changes in two of the Radians after flying? Whoa. Never seen that "feature" before. :)

I'm not quite sure where to start with that one -- other than with some seemingly obvious questions.
    Can you confirm you connected up to each Radian in turn and did a Read to get the current settings displayed?

It might be electrical noise, but I've never heard of the Radian's getting reprogrammed inadvertently -- usually it's the other problem -- trying to program them deliberately! :)

Andy.

10. Gustavo Rios

Gustavo Rios Member

Hi Andy,
    Yes, that's what happened to me, I only change the gains one by one the radians, only it.

Gustavo

11. John Golden Britt

John Golden Britt New Member

Hello there,
    Great to find such a focused forum of individuals here!
    Can anyone explain the wiring and channel assignments for switchable Dual Op/Single Op with: MX20 and 3xis Radian, GR24 and Spectrum DX8 with Sat Receiver? It's not clear at all to me from information provided.
    So far I have gotten the DX8/Sat receiver to solely control all three axes, wiring from the Spektrum diagram from the manual and programming individual axes accordingly.
    I also can fly the ship with Mx 20 etc, but have not connected to servo outputs yet.
    I understand that as a single Op I should be able to control the tilt and let the radian do the roll for me. (Pan is turned off unless Spektrum on)
    First, I just don't have a clear picture of the wiring. What should I be feeding to the Input 1 of Pan Radian so that MX 20 controls it when Spectrum is off? Is this a channel out of the GR24?(output 8 Sum signal is used currently by FC). Do I still use any servo outs of the FC? That would be great as they have power.
    Can't very well tackle the software and channel mapping with out the correct wiring!
    Thanks for all your help with this.
    John

12. Andy Johnson-Laird

Staff Member

At the risk of repeating myself, Wow.
    I didn't know the Radians could do that even accidentally.
    Let me email JohnC and see if he can suggest what might cause this.
    Andy

13. Andy Johnson-Laird

Staff Member

There's a thread on that here, John. I'm fairly sure that there are other threads on the forum too.

The basic idea is that the Radians give priority if they see commands from the Spektrum. See this thread here.

Yeah, most ops leave the roll to look after itself unless you really do want to dutch the camera over.

Yes. Consider the Tilt Radian. Whatever channel you have controlling tilt in single op, then connect that to Port 1 of the Tilt Radian.
    Also connect the Spektrum satellite radio to the plug on the underside of the Radian. The Radian will obey the Spektrum if it's active and revert to the GR24 when the Spektrum is inactive.

No. There's not much they can contribute if you're using the Radians.

But only one Amp. Each servo on the gimbal call pull at least 1.5A when they're operating, so you should consider a separate gimbal control battery -- eg. QC1200 with a BEC to give you 5V and 5 or 6 amps. You really don't want the gimbal being driven from the main flight battery because if something goes badly wrong, it will pull the flight battery voltage down (followed by the bird going down as well).

Awwww....where's your sense of adventure, dude.... ;)

Return the favor when you become a guru, please! :)

Andy.[/quote]

14. John Cunningham

Hey Guys,

In theory it is not possible for the Radians to change the programmed values in flight. If 2 have done it at the same time then there is definitely something else going on.

Things which come to mind:

Are you sure it worked, then stopped and didn't work again until you reprogrammed it ?. Are you certain you didn't change one module then shift the programming cable to another then write the same config in by mistake ?.

It's very easy to do this which is why it puts up the annoying 'confirm' dialogue box when you write the config.

A second possibility could be that the power supply to the modules is not powerful enough and the Radian is repeatedly going into the brownout voltage level (around 2 volts). The cpus have come internal protection for this but weird things can happen if it is going in and out of brownout many times a second.

15. John Golden Britt

John Golden Britt New Member

Andy,
    Thanks so much for your quick reply,your point about BEC and separate battery is well taken but what input and where? I'm also still confused as to but what signal/cable am I feeding the tilt Radian IN 1 in solo mode? A servo cable directly from Channel assigned to tilt(9) from the receiver? Does that mean I have to unplug the tilt radian IN 1 from connection to roll and pan completely when solo? I was under the impression that only the pan had two utilized inputs(Spektrum and IN1 and the others daisy chained from that control whether Spektrum or input 1 which you are now suggesting is for power. What exactly is the connection between the receiver and the radian pan or tilt in both modes? Where exactly is the power supplied? Trying to avoid the magic smoke.. Sorry to be so dense but does anyone yet have a diagram of this so I can get flying again?
    Sleepless in Albuquerque

16. Tim Gould

Tim Gould New Member

Trying to configure for this Graupner MX-20 / Spektrum DX6 dual setup. Deep into programming the Graupner radio to take over for single pilot operation. Will this work with WKM also, or only with Mikrokopter? Do you have to reassign channels of the Mikrokopter, as this is not possible to with WKM. Just wondering if this setup is possible with WKM?

17. Andy Johnson-Laird

Staff Member

18. Bryan Harvey

Bryan Harvey Member

for anyone that has WKM ( Wookong M) and would like to set up their rig as described in this thread, switching between dual operator Graupner receiver /Spektrum satellite receiver gimbal control and single pilot operation running just the Graupner....
    We have one solution that seems to work.
    We rigged the Graupner flight control receiver with PWM wiring instead of PPM so we could manually reroute the separate servo leads as a way to reassign channels.
    Most people on this thread are doing this wtih Mikrokopter boards which allow reassigning channels in the software, while WKM does not.
    Maybe there is another solution as well, but this seems to work for us.

My friend Tim Gould (above) figured this out. Thanks Tim! I'm clueless in this area!

19. Ramesh Tahlan

Ramesh Tahlan Member

Hi eveyone,
    I am using a Wookong-M and cam mount with 2 Radians and would be going in for 3 Radian set up soon.
    I also want to have option of 2 pilot and single pilot.
    so for single pilot operation, i need 9 ch for Wookong-M and 6 channels for the 3 Radians, that a total of 15 ch.
    Problem is i have 12 JR/Spectrum Rx's and so don't want to change over to Futaba S bus system
    I am planning to buy the Spectrum DX18 with the X Plus8 expansion module.
    Before i take the plunge to buy the DX18 and X-Plus module.
    For SINGLE PILOT would I be able to use the X Plus channels to control the 3 Radians, by assigning 6 channels of X Plus module to the 3 Radians. From the data i have read, the 8 ch of expansion module r fully proportional and assignable by choice.
    Am i likely to get into some sort of setup problem. From my understanding i feel i should not have any problem.. but need the advise before i order the DX18 etc.
    And off course if i want a 2 pilot operation, i would leave a Spectrum Sat Rx plugged into the first Radian, and so when ever the second pilot would sw on his TX,,, i would automatically go into 2 Pilot operation... is that correct
    Appreciate the advice to confirm my line of thinking,,, just itching to order the DX18 and X Plus8 module
    Happy New Year everyone. hope mine also become happy with some good news from u guys
    Ramesh Tahlan

20. Ramesh Tahlan

Ramesh Tahlan Member

Hi All,
    One more question...
    On the DX18, the Rx has 2048 resolution... but the 8 channels u get with the X Plus8, are all 512 resolution,
    so since if i am planning to use these extended channels to for the Radians.. should i expect some kind of loss of performance of the cam mount,, or if at all there is a loss of performance technically, would one be able to notice it...
    My plan for use of the channels is as given below.
    Ch1 to 4 are for control of Multicopter
    ch 5 is Gear ch linked up in Curves set up to Aux 2 for fail safe for Wooking M
    ch 6 is Aux1 for Wookong M IOC
    ch 7 is Aux2 for Wookong Mode Sw
    ch 8 is Aux3 for Wookong M - Go Home and Land
    ch9 is Aux 4 for camera click
    Ch10 is Aux 5 - not used/Zoom function.
    Now come the X Plus channels X1 to X8, using 2 each per Radian,, and all these are 512 Resolution.
    Ch 1 to 10 are all 2048 Resolution.
    So would it be advisable to use DX18 in this manner for Single Pilot operation.
    However... for 2 Pilot operations, i would be using a Spectrum Sat Rx linked to my JR 9 DSM2 Radio with 1024 Resolution.
    Hope someone can clear up my thought process
    regards
    Ramesh Tahlan