/dist/images/branding/favicon

Theft Insurance???

Discussion in 'Cinestar 8' started by Chris Babiana, Mar 19, 2013.

1. Chris Babiana

Chris Babiana Member

I was talking to our friends at Hill & Usher and they advised me that they wont insure the CS8 for theft. I understand why...if someone totaled the machine they might be inclined to say it was stolen (after chucking it off a bridge at midnight). But is anyone aware of another company, or way to insure it for theft? I think I already know the answer to this, so for now I'll be sleeping with one eye open and the trusty ole .45 fully loaded!

2. Howard Dapp

Howard Dapp Active Member

Be advised that Hill & Usher will not honor a liability claim if you damage someone's property or god forbid injure someone if the incident occurred while working for hire with your copter, words direct from Andre's mouth. I personally think it's the biggest sham.

3. Tim Joy

Tim Joy Active Member

Last time I looked it would be covered under a standard inland marine policy. For $40k worth of gear it was about $1600 a year, and that was a couple years ago.

4. Chris Babiana

Chris Babiana Member

Thanks Tim...I'll look into that one.
    Howard, I've heard varying conclusions on this (not implying that your not 100% correct). When I emailed Andre Monette of Hill & Usher on this topic, I asked for a straight "yes or no" answer to my question. He replied "your question will be answered by reading the attached policy proposal". Shady if you ask me. So...how does one interpret the following highlighted sections of this policy? Some of my photog friends swear by Hill and Usher for the "Choice Package" for normal shooters coverage, but this "Aerial Pack" feels like I'm buying hot electronics off the back of a truck in a dark alley. Attached is my policy quote I received back in December.

Attached Files:

• 1.jpg
      1.jpg
      File size:
      95.9 KB
      Views:
    • 2.jpg
      2.jpg
      File size:
      68.1 KB
      Views:
    • 3.jpg
      3.jpg
      File size:
      97.3 KB
      Views:
    • 4.jpg
      4.jpg
      File size:
      64.1 KB
      Views:
  5. Gary Haynes

Gary Haynes Administrator
    Staff Member

Looks like you need a lawyer or a friend that is an agent to go through the entire policy to determine what is included and excluded. You would need to look at the General Coverage Exhibit 1 which may talk about an aircraft exclusion which has been removed with the last page you sent. If I had to guess you only have coverage for non-flying activities, your car hits a spectator, someone trips over your camera gear that type of thing. Anything happens while the copter is in operation, well that's the part you probably also want to have covered, you may not have coverage from my laymans read of what you sent.

You need to have the entire policy read to see what it all means.

6. Howard Dapp

For me It's simple, you're not covered in any way for any commercial activity relating to any airborne RC craft (my own translation). In light of the latest news reports of drone use and the FAA confirming no commercial activity coupled with one business receiving a cease and desist order from the FAA just last week...I'd say any insurance company could easily deny a claim citing illegal activity. Andre should stop *ucking playing games with folk's intelligence and just lay it out in plain simple English like he did verbally to me over the phone.

7. Chris Babiana

Chris Babiana Member

Howard...Thanks for your clarification and for sharing what Andre told you over the phone! That's the answer I was looking for. Andre must be making the company some serious cash with this deceitful misrepresented policy. Wondering if an LLC and an indemnification clause in your contracts would be beneficial. Then again, there's the illegal activity factor.

8. Dave King

Dave King Well-Known Member

What's the point of insurance then?

9. Gary Haynes

Gary Haynes Administrator
    Staff Member

Dave, protection for all of the non flying liability exposure. And with no general insurance many producers or film companies simply won't hire you.

10. Chris Babiana

Chris Babiana Member

Current time, 6:56pm est. Andre Monette just returned my call and I placed him on speaker phone so a friend could understand my current dellimiah. I specifically asked: "with the current laws deeming this activity illegal, will I be covered if I damage property or persons while being hired and paid for my services?" He said "yes...that's what we do". Then I rephrased the question and his reply was: "if your not getting paid for photos your covered". I restated it again and pointed out his contradiction and he replied: "yes...you would be covered for damages when hired for a job".
    Bottom line, this guy is a misleading jacka$$!!! I would advise anyone who paid for this coverage to call and ask the same questions. Shady shady shady b-crap policy. Hill & Usher just lost my other equipment as well.
    Just an FYI. I'm ticked (the polite word to use on this foum)!

11. Howard Dapp

My feelings exactly...it's a con.

Chris Babiana likes this.
  12. Matt Barker

Matt Barker Member

I could never get Andre to return my calls or emails???

I'm happy with the insurance I found with my local broker. About the same price and without some of the restrictions of the Aerial Pak.

Has anyone heard of a claim being filed w/ any rc aerial photog ins?