/dist/images/branding/favicon

The best way to add an fpv camera

Discussion in 'Cinestar 8' started by Jason Herring, Oct 22, 2013.

1. Jason Herring

Jason Herring Member

I was wondering how many people use an fpv setup for the pilot for orientation? And if so what type of camera do you recommend ? Is it lite weight? And goggles or a screen for the pilot?
    Thanks,
    Jason

2. Gary Haynes

Gary Haynes Administrator
    Staff Member

Jason a lot of folks use cameras either from Quadrocopter or ReadyMadeRC. They are small and light. For monitoring both screens and goggles are used. I like the Zeiss Cinemizer goggles since I can see over the top for visual and find it a bit easier to use than my LCD monitor screen. But it is personal preference.

3. Steve Maller

Steve Maller UAV Grief Counselor

It really comes down to personal preference. I run a one-man operation (2-axis gimbal) so I use my main camera for FPV if/when I need it for orientation, framing, or anything else. But there are also switches where one can choose between 2 camera feeds. I have one such switch, but I'm sort of out of channels on my TX so I haven't implemented it yet. As for the choice of flat screen or goggles, I'd suggest trying a flat screen first, either on a TX tray or separately on a tripod. If that works for you, great. If not, then maybe invest in some goggles (maybe try some cheaper FatSharks first). I actually run both so that I can choose, and when I'm flying with somebody calling the shots (not that I have paying customers, mind you ;)), they can watch in the LCD.

4. Andy Johnson-Laird

Andy Johnson-Laird Administrator
    Staff Member

If you wear corrective eyeglasses, the only "goggles" that worked for me are the Cinemizers. I used Smart OSD on the copter, split the video out of the receiver between an FPV-Japan DVR (that passes through to an Small HD Monitor) and the Cinemizers.

The DVR permits me to record the FPV video, as well as ground-based audio -- which turns out to be remarkably useful for post-flight analysis (especially if there is an "incident." :rolleyes:).

Andy.

5. Steve Maller

Andy, please remind me...an "incident" is an "accident" that doesn't cause the loss or damage of one's undershorts, right?

6. Andy Johnson-Laird

Andy Johnson-Laird Administrator
    Staff Member

1. An incident is anything that causes the pilot to utter obscenities or profanities (they are different) as a result.
    2. A minor to moderate incident is one that also affects the state of the pilot's clothing as a result.
    3. A major incident also affects the state of the camera operator's clothing as a result.
    4. A serious incident also results in a debris field or a phone call to the FAA by someone not known to the pilot or camera operator.

Andy

[Note to NSA and FAA: This is a joke. It is not intended to be serious.​
    Taking this seriously may result in you feeling dozy and wanting to drive farm machinery.]​

7. Steve Maller

[dons John Deere cap and starts muttering to self...]

8. Gary Haynes

Gary Haynes Administrator
    Staff Member

Steve how do you fit the JD hat over the Steve Maller quad cap?

9. Gary McCready

Gary McCready Active Member

10. Shaun Stanton

Shaun Stanton Active Member

I like to use this one from hobby king. photo (19).JPG

Total setup is cheap. Its the Sony sensor in the more expensive cameras. It doesn't have an IR filter so it collects more light in the IR specturm on the CMOS and actually works fairly well at night. I use a small micro servo to control the tilt which I find useful. They come in either NTSC or PAL.