/dist/images/branding/favicon

Tethered drones

Discussion in 'Electronics' started by Dave King, May 14, 2018.

1. Dave King

Dave King Well-Known Member

Does anyone have experience building tethered drones? I need to build one for science center who doesn't want to worry about batteries, or charging.

2. Andy Johnson-Laird

Andy Johnson-Laird Administrator
    Staff Member

I don't recall any discussion on the forum about tethered drones, Dave. I think a larger issue (apart from tangling the tether in the props) is the weight of the tether leads to diminishing returns -- the higher you want to fly, the more lift is going to be devoted to just lifting the tether.

The next problem I'd worry about is the forces that the tether might exert on the drone -- especially in the wind.

Cheers
    Andy

Forensic Software & sUAV / Drone Analyst : Photographer : Videographer : Pilot (Portland, Oregon, USA): Trees=2, Ground=1, Props=11. :(
    The Ground Is The Limitâ„¢
    ---------- Forensic Drone Analyst : Forensic sUAV Analyst : Forensic Unmanned Aircraft Analyst : Forensic Drone Expert

3. Jason Smoker

Jason Smoker Active Member

4. Ray NG

Ray NG New Member

Assuming that tetherd is referring to tetherd power to a drone

First make a drone non thetherd capable of achieving what all you want to do , if it's for filming or some kind of surveillance

Then make sure your craft is stable , and is capable of lifting the weight of the wire you are gonna lift using the craft

Make necessary calculation so that you can provide enough current required for the drone via the wire . Continuous uninterrupted power is essential for drone , since the speed of each rotor is responsible for the flight characteristics and the RPM of the motor is depending upon the volatge and current .

Make sure your wire is capable of transferring the power to the drone , Make sure you have a back-up battery in the drone .