/dist/images/branding/favicon

Test using the Blackmagic 4K on the MoVI 10

Discussion in 'MōVI M10' started by Richard MacDonald, Mar 21, 2014.

1. Richard MacDonald

Picked up the Blackmagic 4K this week and gave it a try on the MoVI 10. We ran around with the University of Richmond Women's Lacrosse Team. All the footage was captured in Majestic Mode. No stabilization or color correction. This is directly out of the camera.

I'm happy with the results

Attached Files:

2. Wolfgang Armin

Wolfgang Armin Active Member

Nice Work, Richard. We also just received our BM4K this week. Didn't manage to mount it on the Movi yet, but I' impressed with the Quality (coming from 5Ds and Sony EX1) and the filesizes in Prores ;-).

3. Richard MacDonald

I've been really happy with the camera except for 3 things:
    1. Internal battery is horrible so i do recommend the external battery. This mount on top of the camera in the above photo.http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/887730-REG/switronix_powerbase_70_battery_pack.html
    2. Black hole when shooting into the sun
    3. Not great in low light since the ASA only goes to 800. 1600 would be nice. I did this test for a Home Tour which had plenty of light but still shot it at ASA800 at 2.8
    I'm hoping 2 and 3 will be firmware fixes soon.

Cheers,

4. Adam Brennan

Adam Brennan Member

Richard, nice video. I was thinking of getting a black magic, but was that footage shot in 4K? It didn't seem real crisp like you would see on a Red camera. I would almost say I couldn't see much difference in using a DSLR in 1080. Have you been happy with it? I've been waiting to get a 4K camera because cost is coming down. Also do you feel like the stabilization is off a little bit? I have the same issue on my movi 10. It seems like if I am moving fast, I don't notice the drifting side to side or up and down. If I am walking slower, I notice more of the side to side and up and down wobble. I am sure it's me (or hoping). I am still trying to figure it out. Thanks for posting your video. Helps me make some decisions.

5. Richard MacDonald

Hi Adam,
    Technically no, the actual pixel size is 3840 x 2160. It's actually double the 1920 x 1080.

I've never edited any RED footage so I can't say for sure how detailed it is. The video i've seen has always been online and of course it's being shown in 1080 or 720. I'm sure the RED footage is incredible but it's also expensive. For the type of shooting we do, I can't justify the $20K+ investment. I was pretty happy when Blackmagic when from $4000 to $3000 in their cost.

I've been shooting DSLR video for a while and I can ensure there is a night and day difference with 4k. So much detail and I cant see myself waiting to shoot DSLR again.

The stabilization is off a little in the Home Tour as this was our first setup and test. We did take the Abelcine MoVI class in Jan and went back to our notes and since we have dialed in the camera and it's pretty darn stabile now. You'll be surprised how much wobble you'll get just from not walking correctly.

As for the Lacrosse, there is a very tiny shake but for running in a full sprint next to the players, the movi did better than everyone expected.

6. Adam Brennan

Adam Brennan Member

Thanks Richard for the response. Any tips on the walking to reduce wobble? For some reason running seems to smooth out with the Movi but walking slow I see wobble in my work. Keep up the good work man! Oh, anything you can think of when buying the Blackmagic camera? Must haves? What lens are you using?

7. Richard MacDonald

8. Adam Brennan

Adam Brennan Member

Thank you Richard!