Tero discontinued???

Discussion in 'Freefly Tero' started by Rick Gerard, Jan 13, 2019.

1. Rick Gerard

Rick Gerard Member

Did Freefly discontinue the Tero? I don't see it available in the store anymore.

2. Chris Harrison

Chris Harrison Freefly Tech Support Czar
    Staff Member

We are sad to say that the TERO has been discontinued. The manufacturer of the base car we were using can no longer supply us with the chassis (we've been special ordering it for the last year or so).

The future design of the TERO is uncertain, but we will build something for your small chase car needs!

3. Neil Willis

Neil Willis New Member

4. Rick Gerard

Rick Gerard Member

I have a King Motor Car. The initial price was good but I have put about another $800 into a better steering servo, aluminum steering linkage because it was plastic and wobbly, a new and better transmitter and receiver with steering assist that steers into a skid to prevent spinouts and tip-overs, front and rear shocks and other suspension upgrades. I'm still working on perfecting the vibration isolators. Generally the same frame, but nowhere near the build quality of the original. I am probably going to swap out the ESC and motor with a sensored motor and the Freefly Arc 200 as a controller, and maybe even belt drive to get smoother low-speed performance. I used an Arc 200 and this motor: https://diyelectricskateboard.com/c...products/electric-skateboard-motor-6355-190kv, to power my cable cam. It works much better.

5. Neil Willis

Neil Willis New Member

When did you buy your king motor? They say on their site they have upgraded a few parts from the stock one. I was about to get one but not sure now.

6. Rick Gerard

Rick Gerard Member

If they have aluminum steering parts it will save you a bunch of money. If I had to do it again I would probably go for a 4 wheel drive car because they get stuck pretty easily. I recently did a job near Mojave and I wish I had added fenders. The rear wheels threw sand all over everything. I think I'll 3d print or vacuum form some fenders for my car.

Ask them if their radios have something like Spektrum's Active Vehicle control and if the motor and controller use a motor sensor. It is impossible to get a smooth start if your motor does not have a sensor and the ECW does not use it. I went with this Spektrum receiver and radio combination and it's marvelous.
    the Tech: https://www.spektrumrc.com/Technology/AVC.aspx
    my Radio/Receiver: https://www.spektrumrc.com/Products/Default.aspx?ProdId=SPM4210

I have it tuned so you can be going full speed, throw the steering wheel all the way left or right and not tip over or spin out on level ground. (Dead weight installed for the tests, not my MoVI with a camera)

Vibration isolators can be really problematic. My CNC machine is working on a couple of new rings for an isolator that is only going to be about 3/4 of an inch thick to add to the existing top plate right now. I still get sharp jolts that show up from time to time that the MoVI Pro can't compensate for. It's like having the wrong isolators installed on an Alta. I need a little more fluid support so I don't get motion blur for 3 frames because the left front tire hit a 3/4" rock. I have never owned a Tero so I don't know how much better their vibration isolators are but I've been mounting cameras on crazy vehicles for more than 40 years and using wire loops for most of that time and they always seem to take a lot of fiddling to get really perfect. Hanging ones are easier to tune than the top loaded ones like on the Tero so your results may vary.

I hope this helps. I don't use the car as much as I thought I would but when I need it is very nice to have.

7. Rob Drewett

Rob Drewett Member