/dist/images/branding/favicon

Teradek problems

Discussion in 'MōVI M10' started by Mark MacEwen, Nov 17, 2013.

1. Mark MacEwen

Mark MacEwen Member

Hi there

Im filming at the moment in outback Auz with my MoVI and having problems with the Teradek Bolt Pro system.
    I have one TX HD-sdi and two receivers HD-sdi going into separate monitors, we are in the middle of no where so can't think of a good reason for them not to work excellently. They are even failing to link at times within 1ft of each other.
    The Teradeks appear to be having a significant problem they link and unlink repeatedly, meaning that you can’t see anything on the monitors, they claim to link then lose signal repeatedly, its weird as they were working ok for a bit e.g. 30mins and now are not working again, Its a sporadic problem that isn’t reliable and is seriously affecting out shoot. They are even failing to link at times within 1ft of each other. Its not looking good also I would say the maximum range we have had out of them is 25ft line of sight. I have one mounted on the MoVI much like everyone else and a receiver with the RT motion Follow focus, and one with the monitor on the Remote control.
    Im really struggling with this, have any of you any tips or advice or experienced any similar problems. Is there any way of boosting the system signal,
    Thanks

Mark

2. Wolfgang Armin

Wolfgang Armin Active Member

Mark,
    it might be a dumb reply, but did you check the batteries? I have no experience with Teradek so far, but in photography I used to have the weirdest problems with transmitters when the voltage was low.
    Good luck,
    Wolfgang

3. Wolf Schiebel

Wolf Schiebel Active Member

Hi Mark,

as Wolfgang mentioned, do you power the Teradeks from the usb-out of the monitors? The power could be too low this way.

Try power them from a lipo or v-Mount battery, that might be better. The range will never get above 90-100 ft. in the field….

Best,

Wolf

4. Mark MacEwen

Mark MacEwen Member

Hi Guys thanks for advice,
    Im powering two of the Teradeks from lipos and one from a d-tap off a v-lock, i wondered if it would happen if the voltage dropped but I checked that and it doesnt seem to be the case.

5. Mark MacEwen

Mark MacEwen Member

I would say I've definitely not got a range above 30ft from them in any situation, we have line of sight and we having the problem even within several feet. They worked initially although not brilliantly then the problems began

6. Michael Gailing

Hey Mark,

This sounds like a hardware issue, especially since you are not in an area where interference would be common. I know you might not have time to send these units back, but we might be able to ship you new ones in advance.

Shoot an email to RMA@Teradek.com and copy Support@teradek.com -- let them know whats going on and that you'd like an Advance RMA. Im really sorry about this experience! Its not common for our units to behave this way.

7. Mark MacEwen

Mark MacEwen Member

Just wanted to say that Michael and the guys at teradek, responded very quickly about the problem and sent out a very fast replacement set for us. It was great to have a company respond so professionally and sort it out so quickly. Thanks again, its really helped to get us back on track with our shoot.
    All the best
    Mark

8. Justin Marx

Justin Marx Active Member

The guys at Teradek stand by their products.. Contact them ASAP! Also, remember to mount them properly, don't block them.
    Make sure, if you can, mount one receiver on a cstand as high as you can and hard wire your operator. Or when all else fails and you are not doing an extreme MoVI move, hardwire the camera.

9. Charles Lim

Charles Lim Member

I seem to be having the same problem , my range is not hitting more than 30ft also.

10. Michael Gailing