/dist/images/branding/favicon

Tell me this board isn't partially fried...

Discussion in 'Cinestar 8' started by Chris Babiana, Feb 14, 2013.

1. Chris Babiana

Chris Babiana Member

So I connected my 5D to the shutter cable and low and behold, it's not working...no blinky blue light, nada! The attached diagram shows where it was originally installed, programed and WAS working just fine. I checked for voltage on the left two top pins...nothing (see diagram).
    2 top left pins - zero volts
    2 bottom left pins - 5.04 steady
    2 top right pins - jumps between 0 & 4.51 (shutter cable LED goes off during voltage drop...see video)
    2 bottom right pins - 5.04 steady
    Thinkin the worst here...partially fried board?

Video of all 4 connections:

Video of voltage drop and shutter cable LED going on and off:

Attached Files:

• 1.JPG
      1.JPG
      File size:
      396.3 KB
      Views:
    • 2.JPG
      2.JPG
      File size:
      122.6 KB
      Views:
    • 3.JPG
      3.JPG
      File size:
      117 KB
      Views:
  2. Gary Haynes

Gary Haynes Administrator
    Staff Member

Chris A couple of questions to help solve this. The connection point you are using is not one that most people would use for the camera trigger. From the FC layout that is the pin set for the Transitor Output. That is the Output that is usually used for connection to a Extension PCB to control the flashing of the LEDs for low voltage. Not saying you can't use it, just don't know how it would work.

That being said what channel on your transmitter is controlling the switch, how is it mapped in MKTools, which shutter switch are you using? Also screent shots from MKTools of the Output, Camera and Channels screens.

And you will get voltage off of the signal pin, that's the right hand pin. And on the Top of SV1, where you were connected depending on how you have your configuration on the Output tab in MKTools might be why you are seeing some flashing.

3. Chris Babiana

Chris Babiana Member

Hey Gary.

I was instructed to install it this way by the support team at QC and went through the set up and mapping with them. Please let me know the proper install. MX-20 using SW9 to trigger camera, channel 12 controls it, P8[12] range 0-254.
    All was working fine. Now, no voltage.

Attached Files:

• 5.JPG
      5.JPG
      File size:
      113.7 KB
      Views:
    • 6.JPG
      6.JPG
      File size:
      109.5 KB
      Views:
  4. Gary Haynes

Staff Member

So still would like the screen shot of the Output tab. I found this on the QC site leading to the instructions on the wiki. So I'm guessing that something changed on the Output tab.

5. Chris Babiana

Chris Babiana Member

Forgot to upload that pic....
    Those are the instructions I went by with QC.

Attached Files:

• 7.JPG
      7.JPG
      File size:
      141.4 KB
      Views:
  6. Gary Haynes

Staff Member

Ok, there is one thing that you could try. On the output screen change the the Out1 timing to Poti 8 and change the Out2 Timing to 40. Look at the pattern of the Red/Black squares and click on the Out1 Bitmask to match the Out2 bitmask. Write the change. On the board attach the the connector as shown below for Out1 and give it a test.

Screen Shot 2013-02-14 at 7.07.15 PM.png

7. Chris Babiana

Chris Babiana Member

Just did it. What happened was, the two bottom pins remained the same (constant voltage), but the two top were reversed. Instead of the left being dead and the right having a voltage rise and drop, now the opposite is happening....right side dead, left side has voltage rise and drop.

Attached Files:

• 7.JPG
      7.JPG
      File size:
      122.2 KB
      Views:
  8. Gary Haynes

Staff Member

So is it working?

9. Chris Babiana

Chris Babiana Member

Well..it communicates with the camera, but theres no control. The second you plug it in the camera rapid fires until it's unplugged.
    I just tried these settings and the previously dead upper left now has a spike (light blinks on shutter cable) and all others have full voltage. Weird...but getting somewhere...

Attached Files:

• 8.JPG
      8.JPG
      File size:
      154 KB
      Views:
  10. Chris Babiana

Chris Babiana Member

Could a firmware update have caused this? I'm not at the copter right now, but I'm pretty sure I updated the firmware the same day I did the radians and I haven't used the shutter cable since before the the update.

11. Gary Haynes

Staff Member

Yes it's possible but not likely. Best suggestion would be to for the firmware update again just in case. If that doesn't fix it I would suspect something has happened to the shutter device. If it is flashing the pattern that you have set in the Output tab on with a short off then on then something may have changed on your camera? Otherwise maybe the shutter controller has gone bad.

Also check the pattern in your earlier post. The pattern you have set on the Bitmasks are the same but instead of copying Mask 2 your duplicated Mask 1 to Mask 2. Pattern should be RRRRBBRR (R-Red B-Black) on Mask 1.

And the pattern used on the MK site is RBBBRBBB.

12. Chris Babiana

Chris Babiana Member

Solved!!!
    The firmware update somehow reversed Out1 and Out 2 Bitmask and Timing.
    Out1 Bitmask now BBBBBBBB, Out 1 timing- 40
    Out2 Bitmask now RRRRBBRR, Out2 Timing- Poti8
    Thanks for your help Gary.