/dist/images/branding/favicon

Techniques to avoid front boom

Discussion in 'Cinestar 8' started by Pablo, May 19, 2013.

1. Pablo

Pablo New Member

Hi, its me again, i want to know if you want to share your techniques to avoid the front boom when Cinsetar travel frontward. I use a Canon t3i with Tokina 11-16 @16 mm and I could not find a way to avoid it

Best

Pablo

2. Gary Haynes

Gary Haynes Administrator
    Staff Member

Pablo

You can tilt the gimbal slightly down. If you are flying a 2 axis then the only other thing you can do is get a bit longer lens. Example on my Nikon D800 a 20mm is a bit to wide. 24mm with about a -5 degree tilt works pretty well except for really aggressive maneuvering or high winds.

Pablo likes this.
  3. Pablo

Pablo New Member

Thanks Gary. What do you think about canon 24 mm 2.8 IS lens, Does the image stabilization system of the lens really helps?

Best

Pablo

4. Gary Haynes

Gary Haynes Administrator
    Staff Member

Pablo I used to shoot Canon. The 24 is a good lense. Never quite understood why a wide angle would need IS but if it helps turn it on.

5. Josh Lambeth

Josh Lambeth Well-Known Member

Paublo,
    I have the 24mm 2.8IS. The IS works really well ONLY if you have your copter/gimbal working well first w/out the IS. If you have any twitches from the tilt axis then the IS will actually cause issue such as a soft image. You need to make sure you are using a higher shutter speed as well (100 if your at 24fps or 125 if your at 30fps).

Josh

6. Andy Johnson-Laird

Andy Johnson-Laird Administrator
    Staff Member

Sounds like the rule of thumb is shutter speed ≈ 1 / (4 x frame rate), right?

Andy.

7. Brad Meier

Brad Meier Active Member
    Staff Member

If its windy you may want more. Post smoothing with blury images doesn't work that well