/dist/images/branding/favicon

Tabb. . . .MIMIC/Controller FIZ question

Discussion in 'MōVI Pro' started by SeBaStIaN BArrEtT, Nov 8, 2016.

1. SeBaStIaN BArrEtT

SeBaStIaN BArrEtT Active Member

lol sorry for dramatics, but I really wanted him to see this.

Reading the manual, and it specifically states on page 43 "*Any setup using a FIZ system will also require the use of a MoVI controller". . . . .

So is the inclusion of FIZ control in the MIMIC an accidental leak? We are not hearing much, and I am wondering if i need another Movi controller. . . . will the manual be updated to reflect this?

Sorry if FreeFly just wants people to just chill-out and wait till units are ready to go, but then you should not have made such a cool product. . . .

2. Bryan Edmonds

Bryan Edmonds Chief Mōvi Whisperer

SeBaStIaN,

Dramatics are not necessary. This is a safe place. You can just ask questions here. Or you can email support@freeflysystems.com.

We openly state that the RCP cable can control camera functionality, including focus and iris, in EF lenses, on a RED camera, through the MIMIC. This is completely separate of the integrated FIZ motor driver. Tabb even talked (on Facebook live broadcast) about how excited he is that it's an option to not have to add weight for aerial packages to control focus and iris.

If you want to control a FIZ system on any other lens or camera (or zoom on an EF lens on a RED) you will need external lens control motors and an external controller. The only external controller currently available or compatible with the integrated FIZ driver is the MōVI Controller.

We're not sorry we made such a cool product.

3. SeBaStIaN BArrEtT

SeBaStIaN BArrEtT Active Member

You are right, I should have contacted FF support rather than be dramatic. I was being silly, and most of the questions were getting answered on the forum. . . Direct approach next time, sorry bout that.

I felt like a couple people asked the question, and were getting the answers "not at this time" and "its on our minds." I guess I was being blindly optimistic when Tabb initially suggested FIZ control through the MIMIC. . .
    1. "Does the Pro have an integrated follow focus? It doesn't seem entirely clear from the video or the description in the Freefly shop (the shop uses the word FF "Controller").
      1. MoVI Pro has an integrated Focus / Iris / Zoom driver. So using the movi controller (and in the future the MIMIC) users can control FIZ with either external motors, or via RED RCP with lenses with internal motors"
    So there he says "and in the future the MIMIC". That statement, coupled with "or via RED RCP" after that statement, is where I believe my confusion started. Include the vague "not at this time," and i was really confused.

So, blah blah blah, thanks for your very straightforward answer, the confusion is gone. I am very excited to get going on these beautiful machines.

#3 SeBaStIaN BArrEtT, Nov 8, 2016
    Last edited: Nov 8, 2016