/dist/images/branding/favicon

Switching between M5 and MR: the rear tube?

Discussion in 'MōVI M5' started by Steve Maller, Jun 4, 2014.

1. Steve Maller

Steve Maller UAV Grief Counselor

I’ve been using my MōVI M5 exclusively in the air in its ‘MR’ incarnation, but now I’d like to be able to switch back and forth between handheld and aerial use.

The “keyed” rear tube is clearly more stable than the CF tube from the rear landing gear, but it’s a PITA to remove the machinery from the tube and slide in the other tube. I’m wondering if there’s any reason to not just slide the landing gear legs off the back, other than the risk of the rear tube extending far enough to hit the handles on severe panning movements. IMHO this would make switching quite a bit faster.

Thanks!

2. Gary Haynes

Gary Haynes Administrator
    Staff Member

Give it a try.

3. Steve Maller

Steve Maller UAV Grief Counselor

Freefly support sez:
    You can certainly use the carbon tube most of the time on the M5. The aluminum tube is keyed to help simplify the pan balancing process.
    The balancing procedure for the pan will then be similar to the M10. With the keyed aluminum tube, you don't have to make sure the Pan Axis vertical tube is perpendicular.

4. Chris Fox

Chris Fox Active Member

If you hit your knuckles with the pan tube, just use a 500 or 550mm boom in the M5 handle bar and it will make it wide enough for the movi to spin 360 on the pan axis ..... That's what I've done to make the m10 and m5 handle bar interchangeable

Steve Maller likes this.