/dist/images/branding/favicon

Survey: Who uses EXP adjustments?

Discussion in 'Cinestar Misc' started by Dave King, Jun 26, 2013.

1. Dave King

Dave King Well-Known Member

Edit: The title should say Who uses EXP controls?

I've been flying manually more and more and trying to use PH only as absolutely needed. I'm finding the controls very sensitive and I'm thinking about using the EXP settings on the MX20. Who's using them? What adjustments are you making? Which parts are you using it for aile, elevator, rudder?

2. Zach Beggs

Zach Beggs Member

It's really completely up to you. I rarely ever use PH. However, my sticks are set pretty low in terms of sensitivity.

If you're flying with variable PH and hypersensitive controls, you might run into problems.

I'm flying with:

Ail: Dual 65% | Expo 65%
    Elv: Dual 65% | Expo 65%
    Rudder: Dual 95% | Expo 45%

(with a 5D)

Disclaimer: A lot of people advise not lowering the rate percentage, but my philosophy is that if you're using 100% of the copter's power (not speaking of CH1 throttle) -- you shouldn't be flying in those conditions. I've come across emergency situtations, 65% will throw the copter at alarming angles. Plus, you run into several issues when using that kind of power like under-voltages.

You could consider putting 2 different settings on a switch, for when you might need less power, or more power. Whichever you prefer.

I fly normally with 65/65; 65/65/ 95/45.

Here's a few test videos (without stabilization)

Again, I think these settings are completely up to you and what you're comfortable with flying. I get a lot of power when I need it at 65%.

3. Gary Haynes

Gary Haynes Administrator
    Staff Member

Zach I understand your Expo settings but not the Dual settings. From the MC-32 manual the definition of Dual is "The control travel for each switch position can be set to between 0 and 125 % of normal full travel."

So from that description if would appear that if you set your Dual for Elevator to 65% you are limiting the output of the stick to 65%. If this is correct what do you do an emergency where you really need full elevator?

4. Zach Beggs

Zach Beggs Member

I'm thinking based on the curve set by your expo, outer movements become much more sensitive and with a lower rate, you get a better curve.

Maybe I just havn't yet been in situtioans when I needed 100% throttle out of my elevator, but 65% is alarming aggressive -- I would never want to use more than 65 (in these initial flights). Maybe I'll need more later.

5. Cris Olariu

Cris Olariu Member

Hey Zach, you mentioned you could put 2 different settings on a switch... Do you know how I could accomplish that on a DX8? I have not been able to figure it out.

6. Gary Haynes

Staff Member

I'd leave the throttle alone. I am thinking of the other stick movements and why you would want to limit full travel. Elevator is not the throttle. There is a separate curve channel for throttle (channel/servo 1).

7. Zach Beggs

Zach Beggs Member

Oh, I was strictly speaking of the dual/expo rates of the ail, elevator, and the rudder. Not the throttle at all! Leave that alone!

They way I've understood it was when you make a command like an elevator command, the copter will ask for additional throttle from x motors and less from others. Maybe I should have used the word "thrust".

8. Zach Beggs

Zach Beggs Member

The DX8 has switches marked "Elev D/R", "Ail D/R/" -- Set these to the position you'd like and center click > D/R and Expo > and when you move the switch you'll see the changes reflected.

9. Cris Olariu

Cris Olariu Member

Thank you. I'll give that a try tonight.

10. Zach Beggs

Zach Beggs Member

Be careful going lower than 65% rate (for the CS8). Most people leave the rate at 100%, but I find a lot of benefits out of 65 that seem to outweigh the negatives.

However, rate is tricky. You are limiting the copter's power. If you get into a situation where you need that power, you might forget to flip the switch. This is another reason why people leave their rates at 100%. But how often are you using 100% out of your ail, and your elev? In those emergency situations? And for how long? The CS8 is so powerful, I couldn't imagine using 100% for longer than half a second to maneuver out of the way of something. Then yet again, why are you flying that close to something, and wouldn't 65% power (still aggressively strong) avoid the situation all together by flying a safer flight? With less of a range your expo curve is going to be much smoother.

I just don't fly that aggressively and I'm still a learning pilot, but maybe when I fly in tougher conditions i'll need the additional rate. But for now, 65% will freak you out when flying.

11. Dave King

Question, the stock exp setting on my MX20 is 0 not 100%. If I want to take out 40% do I make that number -40%, +40%, or 60%?

12. Cris Olariu

Cris Olariu Member

As far as I know, + is more sluggish, - is faster reaction on the expos. You may wanna try +20% first and see how it reacts, then go to +40% and higher if you feel the need.

13. Andy Johnson-Laird

Andy Johnson-Laird Administrator
    Staff Member

Does it not display the response curve to the right? If so, operate the control in question and it will show you the output you're going to get.

Andy.

14. Gary Haynes

Staff Member

Zach can you shoot a photo of your Dual/Expo screen and post it?

15. Jeff Scholl

Jeff Scholl Distributor

+40 expo on elev and aileron for the mx20 with 100 on dual rates.
    If you are a futaba fan remember that it's inverted (-40)

Cheers,
    Jeff

16. Dave King

Great info thanks everyone. I love this board.

17. Andy Johnson-Laird

Andy Johnson-Laird Administrator
    Staff Member

Zach: I'm concerned that you're using Dual Rate the way you are. As you point out, you are reducing the amount of "control authority" you have -- the sticks might move side to side/fore and aft the same amount, but Dual Rate reduces the magnitude of the control signal transmitted. It will make the sticks seem less sensitive (because they have to move further to produce the same effect), but the insidious aspect is that you don't have full control.

You are correct to ponder whether you will need it or not. However, consider the converse: If you need it, how will you feel when your bird crashed because you deliberately prevented yourself from doing an emergency maneuver?

For example, if you reduce the rudder rate too far you will not be able to start or stop the motors! Why? Because the rudder will never be able to transmit the appropriate control signal for "left stick lower left/right" that it used for motor control.

Also, the reduced rate on rudder, nick, and roll, means that you've made the Cinestar a lumbering beast. Yeah, it's a tad "heavy" in the air already, but...

The best thing to do, as Jeff Scholl and many other do, is have 40% Expo (on a Graupner) and make it selectable by a transmitter switch so you can switch the Expo off if you need to. (Typically, I will do this if the wind is really gusting and I'm landing or taking off and want absolutely, immediate, control authority over the Cinestar.)

So, bottom line: Give serious thought as to whether you really want to fly using the reduced control authority that Dual Rate provides. if you do elect to use Dual Rate, at least make it selectable by a switch so you can get back full control authority.

I'm just sayin'.... :)
    Andy.

18. Cris Olariu

Cris Olariu Member

So here's what I did on my DX8.

I used the FLAP 3-way switch to set 3 settings for my expos:
    Position 0: Elev, Aileron, Rudder all at 0
    Position 1: Elev & Aileron at 20, Rudder at 10
    Position 2: Elev & Aileron at 40, Rudder at 20

Can't wait for the weekend to try it out.