/dist/images/branding/favicon

Successful flights indoors!

Discussion in 'Cinestar 8' started by Steve Maller, Feb 25, 2013.

1. Steve Maller

Steve Maller UAV Grief Counselor

I am photographing a large technology conference in San Francisco this week, and I brought along the Cinestar 8 to do some tests. I'm not going to be using it as part of my coverage of the event, but I wanted to show both my client and myself the operating parameters and capabilities while the halls were not full of the 15,000+ attendees. So I did a couple of test flights (one with stills and one with video). The Cinestar attracted quite a crowd, as you can see (it always does!), and it performed well.

I was flying a stock 4S setup with dual 8000mA Zippy bats. I have a Canon 5D Mark III with 17-40L lens on the Radian-stabilized 2-axis gimbal. I haven't downloaded the flight logs yet, but I'll tell you that this payload feels a little heavy, and my motors were very warm when I landed! I prefer the 24IS, but I wanted to go as wide as I could. I cranked the ISO to 3200 on the stills to get 1/500 second exposures at f4, and the quality was excellent. Very happy with that piece. The video is a little jerky, partly because I haven't yet received my adjustable tilt bars so my 5DM3 isn't perfectly balanced.

But all in all, it was a very successful test, and I made a lot of new friends (and handed out a lot of business cards!).

MIke Magee likes this.
  2. Dave King

Dave King Well-Known Member

Looks good :)

3. Brad McGiveron

Brad McGiveron Active Member

Looking good Steve.

Its funny how many people you will meet when flying these. Even way out in the bush I run into people in places I thought there was going to be nobody.

4. Josh Lambeth

Josh Lambeth Well-Known Member

Nice Steve! We shot in the San Diego Convention Center with both our large and small copters and man what an awesome time that was! Looks good!

josh