/dist/images/branding/favicon

Struggling with Pan jolt/uneven at slow speed

Discussion in '3 Axis Gimbal' started by Fredrik Hansson, Mar 25, 2013.

1. Fredrik Hansson

Fredrik Hansson New Member

Hi
    Now you say, there are already threads about it. Yes there are but i cant fingure out whats wrong. (Running radians)
    Running camera yaw (pan) at low speeds give me uneven speed and little control. Bearing seem ok. Servos... well its hard to say but they seem to run at even pace when not belted.
    Question:
    Its there a step by step setup that could help me eliminate my problem. In combination with the CX-760 optical steady shot, the problem gets worse since there is a small delay in the steadyshot movment. Any advise would be welcome.
    And any suggestion on basic setup numbers on gain etc would also help.
    Fredrik

2. Gary Haynes

Gary Haynes Administrator
    Staff Member

3. Tristan Twisselman

Tristan Twisselman Active Member

Make sure your pan belt is as tight as you can get it, and lower your pan gain until its better...thats what solved mine.

4. Andy Johnson-Laird

Andy Johnson-Laird Administrator
    Staff Member

Tristan: I'm not quite sure that "tight as you can get it" is the best solution -- I'd be concerned that you do something nasty to the servo gear head if you really pull hard on the servo mount. What I do is get the belt to the point that there is about 2-3 mm of horizontal movement if you press your forefinger against the belt at the mid-point between the small and large pulley.

Just a thought....
    Andy.

Fredrik Hansson likes this.
  5. Fredrik Hansson

Belt is tight Andy style, Gain about 50% seem ok (I have tested lower and then it become slow in respons, higher I get gyro shake.
    Bearings are good (tested without belt) . Still jolting att slow speeds... Might be a corrupt servo? Its hard to see if the servo runs smooth when its unbeltet.
    Will post a when we have made more test.
    I think that my tilt has about the same amount of jolting also but there its less visable on the endresult. Can it be that I got an early version of the servos? How can i tell?

I also have started to have an unpredictable PAN drift. Any ideas about that? Adjusting it with trim...and 2 minutes later it drift again. What triggers the pan to keep its direction. Magnetic field?

6. Fredrik Hansson

Hi again Video attached.
    40% gain
    Belt running in the middle of both wheels.
    Same resultt when attached to octo and suspended.
    Bearing ok (tested without belt and suspended)
    What could be causing this? Bad servo?

7. Andy Johnson-Laird

Staff Member

Looks like a lot of scarring on top of the small pulley -- did suffer some kind of mishap in the past?
    I'd swap servos for sure just to prove whether this one is bad.

Andy.

8. Gary Haynes

Gary Haynes Administrator
    Staff Member

Perhaps this isn't the best type of test. When the copter is flying the turning part is not the very light star by itself. The Flight deck is stationary and the gimbal deck is turning. The gimbal deck has weight. Perhaps a better test is with the gimbal suspended and the star sercured so it doesn't move?

9. Fredrik Hansson

Scaring is from the very beginning. I bought it pre assamböed but 2 screws holding the servo were misssing and made the pully touch the "star" attachment screws. No force though..
    As mentioned above, it act the same way suspended and also in the air. It gets slightly worse with load/weight. Will order new servos for tilt and roll. Have anyone else had similar problem or done the same test? Its very obvious in the endresult when flying and filming.

10. Andy Johnson-Laird

Staff Member

It took me a lot of tweaking to adjust the gains to find the sweet spot on pan where it would track properly and not move in a juddering, almost step-wise fashion. It also seems that the gains have to change depending on the mass-in-motion on the gimbal. I'd tell you main gain settings, but I don't have the gimbal in front of my right now....plus I'm not quite sure they'd be specific enough to work for you....I seem to recall the pan was around 56%. I'll post the numbers when I can power the gimbal up and connect to the Radians.

Andy.