/dist/images/branding/favicon

Stripped Screws

Discussion in 'MōVI M10' started by Ian Doss, Oct 30, 2014.

1. Ian Doss

Ian Doss New Member

Hey guys, I haven't gone through the introduction process yet, this is my first post, so here's a bit of info about me. Ian in Los Angeles and owner of an M10. I mainly work in visual effects as a location photographer and surveyor. purchased the M10 as a step into the independent film industry.

I'm wondering if this is a common issue or not and if there's an easy solution to fix this. I've searched through the forum quite a bit and haven't come across any threads speaking of this. Either it's not that common or people aren't discussing it. I have two screws that just today stripped the threading of the knuckle that is used to adjust the pan balance. On one side the screw won't even catch the threading, the other side takes a bit of effort to force the knuckle bracket to close around the pan arm in order to get the screw to catch the threading. I've been the only person to setup this rig and the only camera setup ever used on it is a 5D mkIII with nothing heavier then the 24-70mm lens attached so far. I'm certain that I haven't been over tightening these screws or loosening them too far. Just enough to allow the knuckle to move and stay put. I do use them quite a bit since I still use the box it was shipped in as it's storage for transportation and it fits only one way in that foam insert. The lower half of the knuckle looks to have the vertical support inserted inside and secured with a bonding agent. Seems if I were to have to replace it, I'd have to replace that entire arm. any thoughts, suggestions or comments I'd appreciate.

Thanks!

Attached Files:

2. Andy Johnson-Laird

Andy Johnson-Laird Administrator
    Staff Member

Ian: Welcome to the forum. In addition to posting here, you might also want to consider opening up a support ticket with FF directly, by sending an email to support@freeflysystems.com.

Andy.

3. Markus Mueller

Hi Ian,

I've had the same problem and found out that it is very important to take the weight off the gimbal during tightening these screws. So when I want to balance pan, I take one hand under the camera to take the weight off and loose the screws. The same I do when I tighten them again.

For solving your actual problem - stick with Andy and open up a support ticket.

Best Markus

4. Gary Haynes

Gary Haynes Administrator
    Staff Member

Ian there is the option to replace the knuckle with a tool-less knuckle.

Screen Shot 2014-10-31 at 7.24.32 AM.png

5. Ian Doss

Ian Doss New Member

thanks for the advice everyone.

Gary, every time I approached adjusting that knuckle I murmur out why didn't they make this one a tool-less knuckle as well! looks like thats being added to the list of accessories