/dist/images/branding/favicon

Steadiness in tilt position

Discussion in 'MōVI M5' started by Alasdair McBroom, Jul 9, 2014.

1. Alasdair McBroom

Alasdair McBroom New Member

Hi. I'm having difficulty in getting the Movi to stay steady when it is tilted and held in any position. It seems to rock up and down very slightly no matter where it is on the tilt axis. Almost like its constantly adjusting. Is there a solution for smoothing this out or stopping this from happening?

2. Austin Glass

Austin Glass Active Member

Is this a rapid adjustment (several times per second), or a slower movement, more like a rocking chair?

3. Alasdair McBroom

It's like a rocking chair I suppose

4. Austin Glass

This can be a tricky diagnosis process, so let's run through the usual suspects first:

- Correct balance? When powered off, does the camera remain oriented (mostly) in the position you left it in? Try several different positions to test.

- Are all the Movi's cables properly seated? These can be a pain, because they can seem like they are seated, when in fact they are very slightly un-seated. If you have a spudger, carefully but firmly check all the plugs (into the IMU below the camera mount, into each motor, into the "brain" on the back of the unit).

Moving a little deeper, turn on the Movi and fire up the Configurator.

- Under the configuration tab, choose "Advanced" on the left side. For both the Gyro Filter and the Output Filter (for the purposes of this test, anyway) ensure those are both set to a value of 1.

5. Austin Glass

Try those things first, then report back here if anything changes. ;)

6. Brett Harrison

Brett Harrison Active Member

This might sound like a silly suggestion, but what you're describing sounds to me like a combination of a small window and low smoothness setting.

I'd like to know if this happens in majestic mode, remote, or both, and if it happens only in-hand, or also on the stand. Cheers.

7. Alasdair McBroom

Ok, so it seems to be mostly resolved by going through all of your suggestions Austin. Thank you. I will try to up the smoothness when I get a chance Brett, and it was happening inn Majestic Mode whilst hand held. I guess there could be a degree of movement in my arms as well but I was shooting really wide and the movement was fairly distracting.

8. Austin Glass

I'm glad it seems a bit better, although troubleshooting any intermittent problem can be tricky. Just because it's gone away now doesn't mean it won't come back.

If you see it happening again, try to remember to record it either with the on-board camera or a cell phone or both. That can help us get a pretty good idea of what's going on. :)