/dist/images/branding/favicon

Starting up in a moving vehicle

Discussion in 'MōVI M5' started by Doug Hadfield, Jul 10, 2016.

1. Doug Hadfield

Doug Hadfield New Member

Hey there, I had a shoot recently (M5 with Sony A7S2) where I was shooting inside a helicopter and found I was unable to initialize the M5 while the helicopter was flying. I also found that the Movi would occasionally experience some kind of electronic interference possibly from the aircraft -- it would suddenly go haywire, turning every which way for a few moments. In the end I had to have the pilot land to restart the M5. Has anyone else had this experience? Is it possible to start up in a moving vehicle?

Thanks!

2. Larkin Carey

Larkin Carey Member

We've used the M5 in a boat and helicopter and always power it, and initialize it before stepping into the vehicle. Usually a movi battery can last well over an hour, which is long enough for most copter or boat rides. Make sure and enable motion booting before taking it in the copter if there is a chance you'll have to restart it. Our only experience with the movi going "haywire" inside the copter was due to hanging it out the door too far and catching the wind.

3. Graham Futerfas

Graham Futerfas Well-Known Member

To 2nd what Larkin said, you can enable 'Motion Booting' in the Expert tab of the App. It allows booting with a gentle motion in the background.

It's possible you're getting magnetic or electronic interference, as well. You could try switching the Heading Assist to 'Off'.

Are you using a Controller to pan and tilt the Movi? Perhaps there's interference on those channels that's confusing the Radio receiver.

4. Andy Johnson-Laird

Andy Johnson-Laird Administrator
    Staff Member

The chopper likely has a reasonably powerful radio transmitter albeit down in the FM band (e.g. 108-137 Mhz EDIT : That's the aviation frequency band) and if you're close to the antenna that might be inducing RF interference. When you get close enough to a powerful transmitter it doesn't matter what frequency it is on!

I recall seeing a posting where a MōVI user was using a Y-cable so he could connect up two batteries thus allowing a hot swap and thus avoid the need for re-initializing in the vehicle/boat/chopper. I was concerned that at the moment of swap, the "used" battery would suck current from the "new" battery, but I seem to recall that he found that it worked as long as he expedited the swap-out.

Let us know if you do try this and where you are when you try it -- we'll all keep an eye out for a bright flash in the sky from your general direction. :rolleyes:

Andy

Forensic Software & sUAV / Drone Analyst : Photographer : Videographer : Pilot (Portland, Oregon, USA): Trees=2, Ground=1, Props=11. :(
    The Ground Is The Limit™
    ---------- Forensic Drone Analyst : Forensic sUAV Analyst : Forensic Unmanned Aircraft Analyst : Forensic Drone Expert

5. Graham Futerfas

Graham Futerfas Well-Known Member

If that's the case, and you're in Majestic Mode, then maybe you can just disconnect your radio receiver module?