/dist/images/branding/favicon

Stabilization with IPhone SE

Discussion in 'Movi Technical' started by SEUNGJAE, Nov 9, 2019.

1. SEUNGJAE

SEUNGJAE New Member

I got this new robot. Tested with iPhone SE to see stabilization during general walking. I set Tune low, 1080p, 30fps.
    However I see this jerks in the footage in attached clip.
    I tried with galaxy note8, bigger phone then the footage is smooth enough without jitter.
    Anyone knows of how robot works with iPhone SE?

2. Kevin P Riley

Kevin P Riley Active Member

There is no attached clip.

3. SEUNGJAE

SEUNGJAE New Member

4. Andy Johnson-Laird

Andy Johnson-Laird Administrator
    Staff Member

Seungjae: The "jerks" to which you're referring appear to be a bobbing up and down motion as you walk. If that is indeed the case, the problem is that you need to learn to walk with your knees bent (imagine walking carrying a cup that is completely full of water). The Movi can, and does, remove rotational motion around each of the three axes, but it cannot remove motion along those three axes.

If you are not referring to the bobbing up and down please clarify what you mean....

Thanks
    Andy

Forensic Software & sUAV / Drone Analyst : Photographer : Videographer : Pilot (Portland, Oregon, USA): Trees=2, Ground=1, Props=11. :(
    The Ground Is The Limit™
    ---------- Forensic Drone Analyst : Forensic sUAV Analyst : Forensic Unmanned Aircraft Analyst : Forensic Drone Expert

5. SEUNGJAE

SEUNGJAE New Member

I am not sure if I describe well. There is bounce up and down and from my footage I think It is more like jitter due to shaking of device from my hand. When I make my phone heavier with extra weight and stuff the stabilization looks better but still there is jitter as I walk. When I Ninja walk with extra care there is no jitter. The reason I got this was to walk around to shoot cinerary but I don't think I can use this gimbal for that use. For this I think other one hand gimbals work better coz there's at least no jitter but they may have more bouncing up and down and panning and tilting are not as smooth as movi. Pls let me know if I miss anything or other solution to reduce jittery issues though I still see movi as best smart phone film making device for steady shot not for running stuff haha.

6. Andy Johnson-Laird

Andy Johnson-Laird Administrator
    Staff Member

I'm sorry, but I don't see any vertical jitter in the video -- I've watched a couple of times again looking at the lines in the sidewalk as they arrive at the bottom of the frame and I don't see anything that appears to be jitter -- all I see is the effect of you walking and bobbing up and down.

I may well be missing something -- can any other forum member chime in -- is there jitter?
    Cheers
    Andy

Forensic Software & sUAV / Drone Analyst : Photographer : Videographer : Pilot (Portland, Oregon, USA): Trees=2, Ground=1, Props=11. :(
    The Ground Is The Limit™
    ---------- Forensic Drone Analyst : Forensic sUAV Analyst : Forensic Unmanned Aircraft Analyst : Forensic Drone Expert

7. John Chu

John Chu Active Member

While holding your bare iPhone and resting against the table, start recording and start tapping the phone--you can induce that "jitter" and distortion. This happens on both my old iPhone 6 and my 6s.

Hard jolts and vibrations directly into the iPhone can cause a jitter, jello-rolling shutter distortion effect even with the Movi. Walking smoothly is going to be the most important factor. I also think softer shoes would be good?

8. SEUNGJAE

SEUNGJAE New Member

Hi,
    thanks for paying attention :)

in the middle of frame when you see people it looks fine. But you see edge of frame especially left top corner or Starbuks plate in the beginning of the video you will see a little consistent jerks as I walk. Just like I hold the gimbal with one hand and put strength on it by vibrating intentionally the footage has jerks.
    I tried to walk smoothly but not like Ninja walk as I am not able to walk that softly for a long time these jerks keep appearing that I found out that I can't use this for just walking and shooting around the city.

9. SEUNGJAE

SEUNGJAE New Member

thanks.

I think foot step gives mere vibration to the gimbal itself so just to compensate it, there is a little jitter because the device is horizontal, movement goes through my hand to the phone. My hand holding movi handle cannot be perfectly reduce the shaking.
    In fact those typical vertical gimbal has no issue of this as the movement goes up from the bottom, just more bouncy up and down with those gimbals than movi robot.

My conclusion is that Movi is not for just walking around but more for videography with smooth movement.

10. SEUNGJAE

SEUNGJAE New Member

I phone 11 pro or those newer phones will be better on this issue? I plan to buy Iphone pro. I am not sure if iphone ois will still affect the gimbal. movi app has ois disable and enable function does it work with ois disabled?