/dist/images/branding/favicon

Square booms vs round

Discussion in 'Cinestar 8' started by Jei Swan, Jan 16, 2013.

1. Jei Swan

Jei Swan Member

I have been having a stupidly hard time aligning my motors/booms. every time i land they are unaligned have i have to take 15-20 min moving and realigning the booms and again not perfect to be able to fly.

yes on another thread i was to lto tighten them more and or put electrical tape on the inside to reduce moving space to get a tighter grip on the boom. but this brings up this question; why has freefly gone with circular boom instead of square ones.

for alignment reasons wouldn't a square boom make things much easier to align the body and motors with out having to draw alignement marks (which mine are totally unaligned now). speed in assembling, just t name a few.

I have been considering drilling a hole through te frame and booms to place a locking pin to stop the boom from rolling but fear introducing a structure weakness.

any one have any tips tricks or something cause i plan to travel a lot with this which means the usual assembly, disassembly multiple times. and the time it takes to align really eats in to working time.

2. Gary Haynes

Gary Haynes Administrator
    Staff Member

Jei if you are flying a CS then it sounds like you are not tightening the clamps hard enough. So crank them down pretty tight. Also consider putting a small mark on the boom and frame so that you can see the alignment points. Same with the motors and their clamps.

3. Tabb Firchau

Tabb Firchau Administrator
    Staff Member

Hi Jei, You should not have to align the booms every time you land (well I guess it depends on the type of landing) I only ever align them when I travel with the CineStar and it takes about 2 minutes after you put the props on to do a quick alignment by eyeballing the prop tips.

We went with round booms for a few reasons:
    Optimized structure (highest stiffness/mass)
    Flexibility in design (gimbal)
    Aerodynamics

Best,

Tabb

4. Joe Azzarelli

Joe Azzarelli Active Member

This was a problem when I had the landing gear on the booms and with straight legs. Any lateral movement upon landing torques the tubes. Better to have the landing gear bolts A BIT looser than the hub bolts so you are repositioning the legs after a sliding landing but not having to realign the motors.

Add foam tires to help dampen the torque, or upgrade to the 3 axis gimbal. :)

5. Andy Johnson-Laird

Andy Johnson-Laird Administrator
    Staff Member

I second what Joe says. The slightly looser landing gear legs, even on a 3-Axis gimbal dissipates the energy of a crappy landing (which is the new "great landing" for me) without torquing the motor booms on a 2-Axis, or communicating the G-forces to the camera on a three axis.

I've got the arthropodal landing gear leg extensions on my C8's, so I'm in the market for pool noodles (as they are called, I gather). Just have to pluck up courage to go into Walmarts and ask the greeter in my English accent, "I say, my good man/woman, take me to your pool noodles and be quick about it, what!!"

Andy.