/dist/images/branding/favicon

Spinning on Boot up

Discussion in 'MōVI M5' started by Andy Post, Mar 31, 2015.

1. Andy Post

Andy Post Member

I'm trying to run the configurator for the first time. I just found the instructions on pairing and am about to attempt it again "having read the manual" of all things. But...as soon as I turn on the M5 it will rotate in one direction, stop, then start to spin in the other. Right now my X8 is mounted on it so it just goes faster and faster and faster.

Will this stop as soon as I connect the configurator, or could someone tell me where to run to first in the software to stop this spinning.

2. Andy Post

Andy Post Member

Took the X8 off of the M5 (which has the multi rotor kit of course) so the Toad in the hole is mounted to the top of the movi. As soon as I turn on the M5, the gimbal levels then the toad starts to spin. Pretty dang fast too. Ideas? Is there a tech support number to call for FreeFly?

3. Andy Post

Andy Post Member

If I take the Toad off to keep it from wobble around like a load of unbalance laundry while it spins, is it safe for the motor to run like that until I can correct something in the configurator?

4. Andy Post

Andy Post Member

And, I'm not offered the option to enter a pairing code anyhow. I'm presented with a random number and three options. This is the paring code presented by the device, it's not, and the device isn't presenting a pairing code.

5. Andy Johnson-Laird

Andy Johnson-Laird Administrator
    Staff Member

The top half spins because the bottom half cannot, Andy.
    Is the MōVI in airborne mode or handheld?
    Try handheld unless it's already in that...
    Andy.

6. Andy Post

Andy Post Member

It's in airborne mode, on the MR conversion kit. I understand the inertia issue. It's a corollary of "Plunk's First Law" which states that if you push anything hard enough, it will fall over.... It was not the spinning I did not get, but why it was going full bore and not stopping.

I got in touch with Rich Speiss inTech Support who reminded me how stupid computers are and that just because the computer asked about a pairing code before it would connect via blue tooth that doesn't necessarily mean that it want's one. Thanks Rich Du-Oh.

He also showed me how to move the entire unit up and down when it turns on to make the boot fail. Then you can go to configuration and set all the stiffness values to 0. Then nothing tries to do anything while you have time to do a proper setup.

So I'm going back to the handlebar and doing it according to Hoyle. Thanks for all your help and understanding. Maybe we CAN teach this old dog a new trick.

7. Andy Johnson-Laird

Andy Johnson-Laird Administrator
    Staff Member

Hoyle was good if you wanted to know how to play whist, but a bit dodgy for almost everything else, I believe. :)

The other Andy.