/dist/images/branding/favicon

Spektrum DX8 and DJI A2 Question

Discussion in 'Electronics' started by Christopher Simons, Feb 10, 2016.

1. Christopher Simons

For those of you that are using the DX8 with the A2, are you using the throttle stick in the normal mode or in the return to center mode, like a Phantom transmitter? I ask because I am putting the A2 on my Cinestar 8 and would like to know if I should adjust my throttle stick to return to center or if I should leave it in normal. If I were to adjust it to return to center, would the octo behave similar to a Phantom, in the regard that if I want to gain altitude, throttle up and lose altitude, throttle down and hover with no stick input, just a snap back to center? I appreciate any setup comments that you are using. Thanks!

Christopher

2. Fabien Deregel

Hi Christopher,

you can use the return to center spring on throttle as long as you fly in ATTI or GPS mode. In Manual mode you will go to 50% throttle simply which can be jumping high or.. jumping down ( exactly as on a Phantom in manual mode by the way).

Even if it is recommended to always keep Manual mode enabled in case of emergency ( compass / GpS error) , very few people take the time to setup a throttle curve ( necessary ) to have hovering at approximatively stick to center ( will depend of payload also) and use dual + expo as manual mode is much more sensitive and does not have auto level feature.

But with ATTI and GPS mode, it's no problems ( i do not recommend taking off or landing in gPS mode anyway, Atti is better and you can perform a 1 meter height commands response routine before enabling GPS if you need it) .

Your machine will fly then like a phantom, just make sure you keep throttle stick totally dow for at least 3 seconds after motors cut off when landing so they do not restart when you release the stick to middle ( with the spring).

One thing to consider is, if you fly with a coaxial setup, due to a massive airflow perturbation around the frames when stopping after a translation, barometer reading will be biased and you might loose altitude so you will need to "learn" to anticipate this ( no big deal, just surprising for people formatted to full automatic flight assistance..) :)

Also do to forget to setup true failsafe on the Spectrum satellites ( you can use a standard receiver with the sats plugged on its to record the failsafe values for the flight mode to move to failsafe and sticks to center.
    Best regards,
    Fabien

3. Christopher Simons

Fabien, these are great notes here, thank you. The only experience that I have with a DJI product is the Phantom and I do enjoy the way their transmitter behaves with the return to center on the throttle. I think that I may give it a shot and see how I like the way that feels and go from there. Thanks again for the thoughtful message back.

Christopher

4. Fabien Deregel

Hi Christopher,
    Here is how a phantom but also Naza V2 and DJI A2 reacts with anti mode and GPS mode with a " center spring".
    On this video it's a bit different, it's a modified 3D connexion joystick with modified sensor we made for industrial inspection for easy flight patterns , but it acts exactly as if you had a center spring shall it be on Naza, Wokong or DJI A2 (now it's a full integrated wrist controller but we make it only for industry):

Just make sure that when you land, be in ATTI mode rather than GPS mode and put throttle stick at lower position until motors stops or go for CSC command to shut down engines but stay 3 seconds more full throttle down before releasing the stick ( if you have a doubt, just release gently the throttle stick a little to check the motors do not startup again)

Best regards,

Fabien

5. Christopher Simons

Fabien, Thanks for the video. Yes, I will have to remember to hold down the throttle stick to turn them off. The Phantom transmitter has a lock to hold it down to power down, the DX8 does not. Good note. Thanks for the reply!

Christopher