/dist/images/branding/favicon

Spektrum DX6i & Radian setup instructions...

Discussion in 'Radian' started by Kris Orban, Nov 10, 2012.

1. Kris Orban

Kris Orban New Member

So...

I have read all the Radian instructions or what little instructions there are and I am still confused by how exactly am I supposed to get the Spektrum satellite to work with one or more Radian modules.

So far I have tried plugging in the Spektrum satellite into the Radian's Spektrum satellite slot on the side of the Radian. Using the Radian software's diagnostic window I can see when I move the controller stick but the servo does not respond. Right now I have only one Radian connected. Is this the problem? Do I have to have two or more Radians connected in a daisy chain in order to use the Sektrum satellite only?

If I connect the Radian through the Spektrum satellite AND receiver through one of the servo channels then the Radian responds okay.
    spektrum.JPG

Thanks!

2. Joe Azzarelli

Joe Azzarelli Active Member

Kris
    If your satellite is bound properly to your dx6i, you plug it in to your first radian just like you described. The signals are passed through to other radians via sbus from port 3 on the first radian to port 1 of the next. Be sure to click the CONNECT button in order to see the input in the software. Be sure your slew channels and mode channel are set to match the DX6i channels.

Joe

3. Kris Orban

Kris Orban New Member

This is what I don't understand. Can you explain? Where is this "slew channels"? And what do you mean DX6i channels"? Please bear with me.. I'm not a R/C guy. I build camera & films trucks so this is rather new to me.

I can confirm I do have the satellite linked to the receiver and I can see it on the Radian's diagnostic window when I move the stick.

Thanks for the help!!!

4. Andy Johnson-Laird

Andy Johnson-Laird Administrator
    Staff Member

Kris:
    Think of it this way:

1. The RC controller has various sticks and switches.
    2. The sticks and switches are assigned to RC "channels" -- the number of channels available depends on the model of Transmitter (Tx) and the Receiver (Rx).
    3. The sticks are, by default assigned to channels 1 - 4. The remainder you have to assign on the Tx.
    4. One of those channels will be used to command a given Radian sensor to move its corresponding servo (e.g. the Pan sensor and the Pan servo). This action of moving the servo is called slewing.
    5. So each Radian sensor needs to be assigned to have a specific "slew channel" associated with it (using the Radian software configuration window).
    6. Slewing is a generic term for servo motion as I said, but the result will be different depending on the servo. Slewing the Pan servo pans the gimbal (pilots who fly full-sized aircraft call this yaw), slewing the tilt servo tilts the camera platform (pilots who fly full sized aircraft call this axis "pitch," but because that's ambigious with blade pitch, helicopter pilots refer to this as "nick" -- I think from the German word for it, but I'm not sure), and finally, slewing the roll axis is called roll (even by pilots of full-sized aircraft). Camera operators call this dutching.
    So you can see the collision that's going on between pilots of full-sized aircraft, RC pilots, and camera operators.​
    While I'm at it, pilots of full-sized aircraft call ascending "climbing" and descending "diving," and camera operators call this "pedestal up or down. We all do this to avoid confusion, right? :)
    7. The roll axis is not normally assigned a slew channel as you let the Radian just keep things level -- but you can assign it a slew channel if you want the camera operator (aka shooter) to be able to roll/dutch the camera.
    8. You will also need to assign a Mode channel -- this controls whether the Radian sensors are off, on--but holding a fixed position without allowing any RC control, or on and allowing you control. These modes are called: off, fixed stabilized, and slew stabilized.
    9. You can assign the tilt, roll, and pan Radian sensors to respond to the same Mode channel, so you can control them all with a single switch on the RC Tx.

Oh....and the reason you're confused is because it is confusing. :)

Hope this helps.
    Andy.

5. Joe Azzarelli

Joe Azzarelli Active Member

Well, a shorter version of what andy said...
    I am using the right joystick of the dx6i so my pan radian SLEW is set to channel 1.
    My camera pitch is channel 2 so set your pitch radian SLEW channel to 2.
    You can use channel 5 for the MODE switch ( same on all radians ). On the DX6 it is called the GEAR switch. Use this to turn the Radians on and off.

Joe

6. Kris Orban

Kris Orban New Member

^ Thank you! That was helpful, especially since you used some camera terms :)-

Also. Right now I am only using one Radian. Can I plug the Spektrum's satellite into the radian's satellite port and use it this way? Or do I have to use the Spektrum's satellite AND receiver?

I will try to get everything working tonight tonight!

Thanks!!!

7. Kris Orban

Kris Orban New Member

OH!!! This makes sense!

Also I would like both pan and tilt (camera terms) to operate off the right stick only. So, do I just change the channel assignment on the Radian?

Also how do I know which channel is which switch and stick on the Spektrum radio?

Thanks!

8. Andy Johnson-Laird

Staff Member

The Spektrum has a Servo Monitor (off the Setup List) screen and you see see which sticks/switches control which channels.
    Of course, they don't document this, but channel 1 is at the top of the screen and the channel numbers increase down the screen.
    So yes, you just change the channel assignments in the Radians.

Andy.

9. Kris Orban

Kris Orban New Member

Thank you all! All your advice was VERY helpfull in helping me understand the Spektrum and Radian setup process. I got everything to work very wel!:)

My only issue is. Besides using one of the Spektrum's sticks is there any other way to drive the Radian 3 position mode switch? The Radian's mode has 3 positions and all the DX6i's switches are 2 position so the only way I could get it operate correctly was to use the throttle stick on the Spektrum.

10. Andy Johnson-Laird

Staff Member

Glad it was helpful -- the RC world is a bit alien, isn't it?

Yes you can us the MIX option to combine the effect of two switches.
    Joe Azzarelli was kind enough to post how to do this.

Andy.