/dist/images/branding/favicon

Spektrum AR8000 Receiver -- What's this for?

Discussion in 'MōVI M15' started by Graham Futerfas, Mar 17, 2016.

1. Graham Futerfas

Graham Futerfas Well-Known Member

Maybe this is a dumb question, but I've been wondering this for a while. I have an M15, and my Spektrum DX7s works just fine with the little receiver I have velcro-ed to the back.

I got this AR8000 larger receiver-looking thing, and I still don't understand what function it serves. Is it supposed to be attached to the Movi somehow? Is it just used to bind the radio? I couldn't figure out how to connect it, and the Spektrum DX7s seems to work with the little receiver.

Unfortunately, the Spektrum instructions are confusing to me.

What's this part of the receiver for?
    IMG_1828.jpg

This is the little receiver I've been using.
    IMG_1831.jpg

Thanks for your help.
    -Graham

2. Andy Johnson-Laird

Andy Johnson-Laird Administrator
    Staff Member

The larger receiver is the main receiver -- it is designed to work with a secondary receiver normally positioned some distance away to give spatial diversity (if one receiver cannot get signal from the transmitter the other one likely can).

The smaller receiver is a "satellite" receiver. Once the main and satellite receivers are connected together the main receiver is "bound" (Futaba calls it "linked") with the the combination of main + satellite.

But thereafter, the satellite receiver functions all by itself. It just happens to be smaller and lighter.

Andy

3. Jason Smoker

Jason Smoker Active Member

The Ar8000 is used for to get all the channels on something plus the sat (the receiver you plugged in). Its normally plugged as one set.

Normally say if you want to hook up a dji450 you would plug you cables from the naza into the throttle to throttle, rudder to rudder etc. Then that small sat would plug into the side of the Ar8000 to get control. Its handy if you want to use a extra channel not provided by the movi say a shutter switch or something the spare channel of the ar8000 could be used

4. Jason Smoker

Jason Smoker Active Member

Andy you fast posted same time haha different but both correct

5. Graham Futerfas

Thanks Andy and Jason. Does the bigger one get better reception?

Also, after I posted this, I somehow managed to un-bind my DX7s from the satellite receiver. Not sure how -- maybe I was messing with the bind button or the main receiver. I'm really good at breaking things. Of course, this led to almost 3 hours of hair-pulling-out (I can tell because there's a time stamp on my original post). :)

I could not get the satellite to re-bind to the DX7s. I looked up all the instructions, watched a bunch of videos -- nothing. No orange lights.

So I finally found a recent post that people have been having some trouble with their receivers and the new Akira firmware. Fortunately, I saw someone who had reverted to the 4.02 firmware, Reset Controller, Auto-tuned, Bind-Receiver (it worked this time!!), Saved Settings, then updated Firmware back to 5.0.

Sheesh! Is this a flaw in the new app or firmware? That was a long walk around to re-bind my radio.

Thanks for your help, guys.
    -Graham

6. Gary Haynes

Gary Haynes Administrator
    Staff Member

Graham only the satellite RX's work with the Freefly pieces. Can't use the regular RX for MoVI control

7. Graham Futerfas

Thanks Gary, so the big receiver's just supposed to sit in the box?

This all started when I decided to buy a set of Veracity Wheels, and then started thinking I might want to keep the DX7 and Veracity receivers separate instead of sharing the one Satellite.

Appreciate your answers!

8. Gary Haynes

Gary Haynes Administrator
    Staff Member

As Andy mentioned, if you were using it on an RC Aircraft or something like a Cinestar it would be common to use the main RC and then, using a splitter box that Spektrum sell, as many as 4 satellite RX's scattered around the aircraft frame. Nothing worse than having your 1/8 scale B52 bomber model with real mini turbine engines at $5K per engine do a fly away as it lost signal during a turn :)

Graham Futerfas likes this.