/dist/images/branding/favicon

Sony Nex 7 questions

Discussion in 'Cameras' started by Ken Green, Sep 20, 2013.

1. Ken Green

Ken Green New Member

Wondering if anyone is flying with the Nex 7. If so, does the " live " feature within the camera, connect directly from the AV output to the transmitter down link or is an additional interface required to view the photos/videos in a 7" monitor mounted on the camera-man's controller ? If so, what is the interface required to make that happen. CineStar8 , 360 radian Cam mount, graupner MX 12, MX 20 , mondo stinger 5.8
    Thanks in advance for your advice !

2. Steve Maller

Steve Maller UAV Grief Counselor

You'll need something to convert the HDMI output from the Sony NEX7 to composite video for the Mondo Stinger. This is what many of us are using: [oops]
    Hmm, just went searching for the "Freefly HDMI converter" in the Quadrocopter store and it looks like it's gone missing.
    Adam? Casey? Anybody? Where did it go?

3. Andy Johnson-Laird

Andy Johnson-Laird Administrator
    Staff Member

I think it has been discontinued, but I'm not 100% certain.

Andy.

4. Ken Green

Ken Green New Member

.....is there then a component that would replace the HDMI to AV converter ? I see on the internet the little white "mini HDMI2AV converter box". But it still looks big. I'm Looking for a source for the FreeFly converter.

5. Gary Haynes

Gary Haynes Administrator
    Staff Member

Ken you can take the board out of the little box. But the weight is negligible. An alternative is the Kopterworx Mini HDMI converter if you can't find the Freefly HDMI converter.

6. Andy Johnson-Laird

Staff Member

7. Adam Paugh

Adam Paugh Distributor

Hey Guys,

Yes, the Freefly hdmi converter has been discontinued. I have not tried the one from Kopterworx, but it does seem like the next best thing. We are very active in searching for a suitable replacement for the Freefly offering.

Greetings,
    Adam

8. Chris Fox

Chris Fox Active Member

Anything in the works to replace it?? I'm intrigued

9. Gary Haynes

Staff Member

Adam the KW one seems to work fine. I have a question to them about 1080P input. I can't get that to work and output from a RED is only 1080P. THe video they have on the website says it handles the RED need some confirmation.

10. Adam Paugh

Adam Paugh Distributor

Hello Gary,

So you are saying that it does not accept 1080p? With out this option the component seems useless.

Greetings,
    Adam

11. Gary Haynes

Staff Member

That's what I am trying to find out. The only 1080p output device I have is an NEX7 where you can switch the HDMI from 1080i to 1080p. And 1080p give s a bad signal. I've sent multiple emails to them and posted over on another forum and haven't heard anything. One of the other forum members with a RED is also trying to get an answer.

12. Steve Maller

What happened to the Freefly adapter? I know it wasn't deliriously happy with 1080P, either.
    Is there something else on the horizon (so to speak)?

13. Ken Green

Ken Green New Member

I found a HDMI to AV converter at " BangGood products " out of HongKong ...very similar to the Freefly product and for $ 35.00. Also wanted to share info regarding an IR shutter release that controls Video on/off as well as Shutter Release from " FlyTron" in Istanbul, Turkey ....also quite inexpensive at $15 plus $3.50 shipping. It's called a sLED v2. works without the IR bulb... attaches to the ir sensor on the Nex 7. The demo video can be seen on youTube. FlyTron also have IR systems that can be applied to Canon, Red and other cameras. Thanks for the advise and help to all. Ken

14. Gary Haynes

Staff Member

Finally heard from Kopterworx. They are going to test the RED output.

15. Andy Johnson-Laird

Staff Member

BangGood? Where on earth do they get these names from? I hope it doesn't describe their customer service... ;)

Do you have a URL for the HDMI product you're considering, Ken? They seem to offer quite a banggood selection.

Andy.

16. Steve Maller

Indeed, especially for us neolithic bare-metal programmer types who remember the word 'bang' representing an exclamation point, which in turn negated an expression. Which means to me, "Bang Good" means "not good". ;)

17. Andy Johnson-Laird

Staff Member

I should have made that point clear, Steve. Thanks for picking up on it. So (!good) means "not good" and is, as you say, pronounced banggood. (Remember the old bang path addresses on the Internet?)

Andy

18. Ken Green

Ken Green New Member

aaaaawwlll .... thats so funnieee ! The thought had crossed my mind if I'd ever really see them actually arrive in the mail..but worth a try anyway. The IR shutter is www.flytron.co and the hdmi converter is at www.banggood.com. GOOD YUK ... yankee boy !!

19. Ken Green

Ken Green New Member