Sony NEX 5 or 7

Discussion in 'Cameras' started by Peter Gøthche, Feb 10, 2013.

1. Peter Gøthche

If any of you uses the nex 5 or 7, can you please share you camera setup.
    I just use the auto, but iam not so habby with the quality of the pictures.

Heres a example RAW image.jpg

2. Steve Maller

Steve Maller UAV Grief Counselor

Peter, are you doing stills or video? And which lens are you using? I use an NEX-5n with the Sony 16mm 2.8 pancake lens. I shoot it at 2.8 and typically use manual focus, especially for video. I also use a ND filter for videos because it helps keep the shutter speed at the right setting. For stills, I bring them into Aperture and work the RAW files a bit. They have a good bit of headroom for adjustments.

3. Peter Gøthche

For now i only do stills with a nex5n and the sony 18 - 55 lens. Do you use manual focus on stills??

4. Gary Haynes

Gary Haynes Administrator
    Staff Member

Peter I have the NEX 7 and I set it up in Aperture Priority, usually f5.6, 100/200 ISO and many times use a +.3 setting on the exposure compensation. Reason for that is that the sky will skew the overall exposure in AE. There are times I use manual, like a snow situation. I still have my Sekonic L-758 exposure meter. I use that to get the exposure and then dial it in.

Suggest not shooting wide open as that is not the sharpest aperture for any lens. Usually 2 stops down is in the sweet spot area. I have the 16 and also fly with the 18-55 zoom.

5. Jean Gabriel Taboada

I bought the nex6n, its the same as the nex7 but less megapixels, i have yet to shoot video but i am very pleased with the RAW quality of the stills. that said, the controls on the nex7 are so much firendly to shoot in manual, but it is a lot more expensive.

6. Colin Snow

Colin Snow Active Member

Here's an interesting comparison.

7. Jose Luis Ocejo

Jose Luis Ocejo Active Member

Hi guys how do you guys convert the NEX6 footage files to Final Cut Pro it looks like the two are no friendly with each other, I search and the only way I can import the files is to go and buy a 3 party $45 software, "come on Sony" they dont even offer a Sony solution, I would guess that is the same for the other Nex cameras like the Nex5n or the Nex 7
    its pretty frustrating
    thanks

ps do you get also the stepping jiter on a pan move ?