/dist/images/branding/favicon

Smart OSD install question

Discussion in 'Electronics' started by Scott Stemm, Jul 18, 2013.

1. Scott Stemm

Scott Stemm Member

I installed the smart osd on top of the navi board and connected according to the you tube video and PDF. I am able to hook up to it via smart osd software via USB cable. I have the camera hooked up to sosd video in and the video transmitter hooked up to video out. No video is being transmitted. The LED on the sosd is flashing green. In global parameters the video is showing pal and it won't let me change it to NTSC but it still should be showing something shouldn't it?
    The only part of the installation that I am not 100% sure of is the change screen wire. Not real clear on where to connect that to. I think I got it right but would that make a difference to not receive video?
    When camera is hooked up directly to the video transmitter video comes in crystal clear so camera and transmitter working fine. Camera and video transmitter hooked up to dedicated 12 volt lipo.

2. Andy Johnson-Laird

Andy Johnson-Laird Administrator
    Staff Member

Hi Scott:
    That flashing green LED doesn't sound right....as you can apparently talk to it with the SOSD software, try downloading the lastest firmware for it onto the SOSD board -- if you cannot get that far, then I sounds like the SOSD board itself is suspect. You've already tested the incoming video signal, so that eliminates that possibility.

You can get the firmware from http://www.quadrocopter.com/Smart-OSD-for-MikroKopter_p_552.html

If you cannot get that to happen, it's probably time to call QC.

The screen control wire can either be driven from an RC port or from a digital signal (that is, from, say, the FC board). I have mine plugged into channel 9 of a GR-24 Rx. You have to select whether you're using RC channel or digital signal in the software.

Hope that helps.
    Andy.

3. Scott Stemm

Scott Stemm Member

Thanks Andy. When I was having the problem I upgraded the firmware and it upgraded with success and still getting the same problem.

4. Andy Johnson-Laird

Staff Member

Hi Scott:
    Hmmm. That does point the finger of suspicion at the SOSD board itself, then.

Just one thing -- can you confirm that the video signal going into the SOSD board shares a common ground connection with the video coming out?

Andy.

5. Gary Haynes

Gary Haynes Administrator
    Staff Member

Flashing green indicates that there is no valid video signal to the OSD.

6. Andy Johnson-Laird

Staff Member

Thanks, Gary. Didn't have access to the documentation. In which case, Scott, given that you know you have valid video for input into the SOSD board, that suggests a wiring issue (e.g. lack of common ground, perhaps) that might be worth shaking down before talking to the dealer....

Andy.

7. Scott Stemm

Scott Stemm Member

The common ground was the negative side connected to the battery. But I connected another wire across just to confirm and still the same thing. Looks like its DOA. RMA in the works waiting for the new one. Not having good luck with flashing LEDs this week as my radians are also giving me problems.

8. Gary Haynes

Gary Haynes Administrator
    Staff Member

Can you draw a wiring diagram showing the wiring from your video TX thru to the camera including the OSD? Not much can go wrong with the board. You can also unplug the connector from the board and use jumpers on the video connector to bypass the board just to see if the overall wiring is actually passing a signal all the way thru.

9. Andy Johnson-Laird

Staff Member

Good idea to use a "shorting" jumper to take out the OSD board, Gary.

Andy.

10. Scott Stemm

Scott Stemm Member

After getting a replacement osd from quarocopter still had the same problem.
    Changed out video in out cable from smart osd fixed connector and everything up and running. It's usually the simple things that throw you off.

Thanks for your help. It feels great to have help all over the world to pitch in and get things running.

11. Andy Johnson-Laird

Staff Member

Glad to hear that you got it working -- and yeah, the simple things like connectors and cables can really ruin your day.

Andy.