/dist/images/branding/favicon

Slow camera translation movements

Discussion in 'MōVI M5' started by Nicolas T, Aug 1, 2016.

1. Nicolas T

Nicolas T Member

I have used my Movi in quite a number of situations in which I am dealing with very small objects, or wanting to move the camera very slowly. Consider the following scenarios.

• Filming Lego or model trains. The objects are small and you want to do a nice sweeping side to side dolly shot, or a push pull shot.
    • A very slow entrance shot to a room in which the camera slowly comes through the door.
    Really slow translation shots, either left or right or forward and back have been challenging.

One idea I had was to tie a rope to the handle (middle one) with a weight on the end, hanging over the edge (or a pully) to provide just enough resistance to aid one in slow motion dolly shots.

These are the kind of shots that would typically be done with a slider, or a dolly.

Thoughts?

2. Graham Futerfas

Graham Futerfas Well-Known Member

These are harder shots to do, but you can get better at doing them with practice. I noticed recently that my Movi\Majestic operating has definitely improved in the last several months.

I have a Ready Rig Support Vest that allows me some side-to side play in the supports, and I can often stand in one place and do small movements with my arms\vest, even on tight shots.

If we need it really smooth and perfect, I often carry a Dana Dolly slider in the kit and we can pop the Movi on there and operate with the Mimic or PLC wheels.