/dist/images/branding/favicon

Slightly pan vibration during walk

Discussion in 'MōVI M15' started by Stefan Helborg, Oct 29, 2015.

1. Stefan Helborg

Hi

I noticed that when I walk with my MOVI 15 in one hand at knee level, there is a certain amount of vibration from side to side (pan) in the final image. I realize that the camera will physically go up and down due to my steps. (elevation)

I put it to the Dual mode for not being able to get to rotate (pan) the camera. I know I could just set the window large for example. 50, but as a precaution I put it in Dual.

During this walk, I also think that I can detect a slight movement up and down on the image (tilt) and not the camera elevation.

If I stand still with gimabl, with a large window at 50, and make small swings from side to side (roll) then I can see the camera will turn slightly from side to side (pan)

I have balanced the camera pretty good, so I thought it might be a setting I've missed ...

2. Gary Haynes

Gary Haynes Administrator
    Staff Member

Stefan what camera setup? What are your stiffness settings for pan, tilt, roll? How did you do the tuning? If you are going to carry it one handed did you tune it while holding it one handed? Best to tune how you are going to shoot...

3. Stefan Helborg

I did the tuning on a stand...

Tilt stiffness: 16
    Roll stiffness: 38
    Pan stiffness: 23
    Auto Tune set %: 50
    Gyro filter: 5
    Output filter: 5
    Tilt Hold: 8
    Roll Hold: 8
    Pan Hold: 8
    ===Majestic Mode
    Pan Smoothing: 20
    Pan Window: 30
    Tilt Smoothing: 30
    Tilt Window: 10
    ===Dual Mode
    Pan Smoothing: 30
    Pan Window: 30
    Pan Expo: 10
    Tilt Smoothing: 5
    Tilt Window: 8
    Tilt Expo: 10
    Rate Scale: 200

I know that my stiffness is very low, but when I turn them up, the motors vibrate first at 170, but stops only when I reach down to 50 again.

By the way. Why is there settings for smoothing and window under Dual op. Mode? It's "free" in Dual Mode, but maybe I overlooked something.

Attached Files:

4. Gary Haynes

Gary Haynes Administrator
    Staff Member

Stefan try doing the tuning while holding it in the hand. That should get the numbers up a bit. Usually the pan number is the highest when tuning so your's does look a bit low. Make sure that you have carefully done all of the manual balancing steps especially on the pan axis (sliding the the knuckle clamp). If you still can't get them up higher then consider changing the Gyro and Output filter settings. The default is typically 5 for both. Try dropping them to 3 and then re-tune.

And lastly as point of information do you know how much your camera setup weighs. Some times a lighter weight camera rig will have very low stiffness values. In the situation of low weight the resulting stiffness is so low that it is hard to get good results. Only solution in that case is to add weight to the camera/camera deck.

5. Stefan Helborg

My camera weighs 3 kg.

It helped a great deal to increase the stiffness to 60 - 80-180
    I will test it again tomorrow. Thanks for the help so far :)

By the way what is the best way to adjust the stiffness when mounted on a drone?
    Is it by holding it in the air, so there is a slight motion, or by leaving it on the ground?

Why is there settings for smoothing and window under Dual op. Mode? It's "free" in Dual Mode, but maybe I overlooked something.