Simple and quick mounting idea for accessories on the Movi M10

Discussion in 'MōVI M10' started by Matt Crowther, Mar 11, 2014.

1. Matt Crowther

Matt Crowther New Member

We've been tinkering with our M10 here at the BBC and I thought I would share my first handy tip with you.

I was looking for a way to mount a Teradek Cube transmitter low down, next to our Canon C300 on the rig. I realised that the carbon rods making up the horizontal camera stage are 15mm in diameter which is a standard metric pipe diameter for plumbing. So I bought various types of pipe clips from RS Components to try out and the ones that seem to work the best are made by "Talon" - RS part number 340-6811.

They have an over clip design which is not necessary so I just snipped them off, but what they do offer is a locking dovetail design that means you can stack them together side by side. Miraculously, stacking two together has the right centres for mounting the clips onto the carbon rods! I love it when engineering solutions benefit from random chance like this.

Anyway, here is a picture of two clips with one unmodified clip next to them.

And here is a pic of the clips fitted to our Teradek Cube.

Hope that's of use to some of you other Movi users.

Matt

2. Brad Seals

Brad Seals New Member

I think that will definitely be useful to me. Thanks for posting, Matt!

3. Andy Johnson-Laird

Andy Johnson-Laird Administrator
    Staff Member

Matt: I presume you've cornered the export market for these clips as it appears (from a quick Google search) they're not available in the USA? ;)

Andy.

4. Sam Donaghy Bell

Hi Matt. Nice mod. How have you been mounting them to your accessories? I've just been using speedy clamps.

Cheers,

Sam

5. Jason Comparetto

Jason Comparetto Active Member

What Matt is talking about is 15mm plumbing pipe clamps, which would be difficult to find in the US since all of our plumbing is based on the Inch system. the closest thing we would have is 1/2" pipe clamps, which have an OD of 5/8". But that's slightly larger than 15mm, just enough to probably be useless.

6. Wolfgang Armin

Wolfgang Armin Active Member

So finally you US-guys are facing the same problem we Europeans do almost daily? ;-)
    I could buy a car for the money I spent on shipping for items I ordered from the US.

7. Andy Johnson-Laird

Staff Member

Yeah.....having living in England (went Metric while I was there), France (Metric), Canada (went Metric while I was there) and now the USA (confusingly part Metric, part Imperial), I dream of the USA going Metric. Several folks I know here tell me that Metric is too confusing. I then ask them how they feel about Dollars and Cents.... <evil grin>

Andy.

8. Jason Comparetto

Are we the last country on earth to still use Imperial? Having worked with measurements across various industries my whole life (engineering, construction, manufacturing) I can't realistically see all of these industries switching to metric all of a sudden. I guess anything is possible, but it would be a costly move for a lot of smaller businesses that have invested their entire fleet on Imperial. Plus I secretly like having more options… sometimes M3 is too small and M4 is too big, but #6 Imperial saves the day. :)

9. Andy Johnson-Laird

Staff Member

True, Jason, but is that a #6 Unified Coarse, Unified Fine, or British Standard Whitworth?
    Oh...and if the M3 is too small and M4 is too big, that can often be a dead giveaway that the hole is the wrong size. :)

Andy

10. Jason Comparetto

:)

11. Matt Crowther

Matt Crowther New Member

Here you go guys - now available on ebay for despatch to USA, Canada, Australia and the European Union.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/201051737704

12. Chris Fox

Chris Fox Active Member

Hmmm ... Is it coincidence or a wonder of advertising that when I look at that ebay link, the add at the bottom of the page it tells me that everyone else that looks at this item, also looks for hat facinators as well??

What does a fascinator and a MōVI have in common?

Attached Files:

13. Matt Crowther

Matt Crowther New Member

I should have realised the name "accessory clip" would open up a world of weirdness on ebay..

Could be worse though - like this manfrotto spare part or this oddly named wind shield

Chris Fox likes this.
  14. Andy Johnson-Laird

Staff Member

Manfrotto makes a what??? I suspect that device is illegal in several States....

Andy.