/dist/images/branding/favicon

Show me your CAM op groundstation.

Discussion in '3 Axis Gimbal' started by Gustav Raberg, Mar 7, 2013.

1. Gustav Raberg

Gustav Raberg Member

Im building a new groundstation for my CAM op and it would be nice to see yours.
    I will use a medium size pelican bag and mount our 7" monitor in the lid. We use both monitor and fatsharks so ill have to make room for both monitor, fatsharks and the CAM op transmitter.

How do you guys have yours set up?

G

2. Howard Dapp

Howard Dapp Active Member

Your idea sounds very similar to what I built for my cam op. I disassembled the cam op's Futaba 10C radio then stuffed the innards inside an electronics box which all fits inside a pelican 1300 case with 6" LCD velcro'd to the inside lid with video downlink RX etc. The pelican case mounts onto a tripod via quick release shoe. I personally think it's a very nice setup. I really do enjoy performing these one-off custom type mods or what I call 'convenience mods' where the end goal is convenience and ease of use for the user:)

See thread here:
    http://forum.freeflysystems.com/index.php?threads/futaba-10c-strip-down.956/

3. Josh Lambeth

Josh Lambeth Well-Known Member

We used to have ours in a pelican case but found we were having to do a decent amount of shots where we would be required to follow the copter... this started causing an issue so we mounted everything to the cam-ops TX and now are completely mobile. Our cam op likes it a lot better. :D

josh

4. Howard Dapp

Josh, a peli 1300 is not big enough to house any TX without performing a gut job like I did with the 10C so I'm not sure which peli you guys used:) It must have been much bgger than a 1300.

No problem for the small 1300 peli to be mobile...shoulder harness solves this if needed;). We've done it the standard way for years...monitor rigged to the radio with the RX and wires and battery strapped all over. We've even tried using a platform with shoulder harness and the radio fix to it with monitor and RX but we found the pelican route much cleaner and convenient.

It's just nice to be able to have it all consolidated in one compact, protective, enclosed case...clean with no dangling wires batteries etc. Easy travel because it's all in one small unit, no setup time & mounting of monitors, screwing in components etc. It's simple, just open the lid, plug in the power and go. When shooting is done, just unplug the battery and close the lid and throw the peli in the trunk, done with no worries of breaking a control stick or accidentally ripping off an antennae.

5. Gustav Raberg

Gustav Raberg Member

I like your groundstation Howard! We use groundstation on stationery jobs and fatsharks when we are on the move so im just going to make a case were we can have all our CAM op stuff sorted and ready to use. I've used fpv trays but they are a pain in the a.. to pack.

I'll post some pics when im done.

G

Howard Dapp likes this.
  6. Howard Dapp

Thanks Gustav, packing and setup headache was one of the reasons for the mod. The Peli 1300's lid can accommodate an 8" monitor so I'll be swapping the client's 8" with the cam op's 6". I'll buy a 9" or 10" for client monitoring. Can't wait to see your groundstation!