/dist/images/branding/favicon

Shooting near strong magnetic fields?

Discussion in 'Electronics' started by Alex Smart, Sep 12, 2013.

1. Alex Smart

Alex Smart Member

Hi!
    A gig just turned up for us shooting a power plant in Mallorca.
    My electronics are MK and in the past I had some problems shooting near raiways with the Navi...
    Im removing Navi and GPS for this flight but just wondering if you guys are aware of any posible troubleshooting in proximity to big power generators etc..
    Best Regards,
    Alex

2. Jason Smoker

Jason Smoker Active Member

hey Alex Just turn your compass setting to 0 in misc tab, then you should be able still use your gps and navi board. Always have the trigger finger ready to turn it off though!!;)

3. Graydon Tranquilla

Checkout IEEE-519 dealing with powerline harmonics and their mitigation. Much will depend upon the grid's electrical load characteristics which tend to include a very high percentage of motor driven by VFDs or ASDs. These reflect a lot of harmonics back on to the electrical grid. As an example a very low energy level 57th harmonic has caused a lot of problems with the old copper cage, i.e., POTS phone line systems creating acoustic spectrum noise in landline phone calls. Diesel locomotives likely have their electric drives controllers by VFDs/ASDs but are enclosed within a steel structure which helps to reduce rfi/emi emission.

4. Dave King

Dave King Well-Known Member

I would shoot completely in manual mode.

Sebastian Meredith likes this.
  5. Graydon Tranquilla

Interference with GPS is a lesser issue. If an interfering radio signal or emi is strong enough it can stamp all over 2.4Ghz fhss communication and disable RC remote control. And with a point source emi or rf signal the inverse square law applies...... the closer your are to the signal source, the more likely you will lose control. The rf or emi signal to noise ratio becomes intolerable overwhelming radio receiver noise rejection making it impossible for the receiver to read the desired signal thru all the noise.

6. Dave King

Dave King Well-Known Member

Well that might be true too. If you lose a quick momentary signal from the radio because of interference, the copter will at least go in come home mode. If this happens I would call it a day. IF you haven't tested losing a radio signal with your copter in the air you should try it.