/dist/images/branding/favicon

Shake on Y axis

Discussion in 'Radian' started by Pablo, Apr 18, 2013.

1. Pablo

Pablo New Member

Hi, im new with radians and i was looking on the forum threads but i not get a clear idea

My problem is with a shaking or vertical vibration when i shooting

I made two shootings in the same place, but the second one doesn`t present shaking moves

The two shoots was taking in the same place, same day

It was little windy day

I was using:

CS8
    2 Radian
    2 axis Gymbal
    Canon t3i Tokina 11-16 @16mm
    1080p 30fps

Shake Video

http://youtu.be/zokD_JfBUEc

Other video, same day, same place

http://youtu.be/lWyeO1JBhC4

Thanks

2. Andy Johnson-Laird

Andy Johnson-Laird Administrator
    Staff Member

Hi Juan:
    Sorry to sound like a government official, but could you copy the text from the first message on this thread:

http://forum.freeflysystems.com/index.php?threads/radian-issue-please-read-this-first.744/

and then paste the text into a new message on this thread and then fill in the answers, please?

It's very hard to diagnose what might be wrong from just looking at the video (my suspicion is that you have either a slack drive belt on the tilt axis or that the gain for tilt might be a little high).

Andy.

3. Gary Haynes

Gary Haynes Administrator
    Staff Member

Juan some of the vibration might be due to time of day. First one looks like high noon while the other one, great light by the way, is at sunset. Less thermal activity off of the ground and rocks later in the day. Also may have been a difference in the amount of wind. Think of wind coming over the hills like water in a small creek that has a bunch of rocks. As the water goes over the top of the rock it drops rapidly on the downstream side. Wind does the same thing. I live in the Rocky Mountains. Wind over the rocks needs to be respected.

Your second video looks relatively smooth and a bit of adjustment in post production would get rid of the remaining vibrations.

4. Pablo

Pablo New Member

Aircraft Type: CS8
    Gimbal Type: 2 axis
    Radian Type ( 1, 2 , 3 axis) 1, 2
    Gimbal Power source: From Channel 8 of Futaba TX
    Gimbal Radio Type:
    Radian Communication Protocol (S.Bus, PPM, PWM, Spektrum) S.bus

Connections: Change these to match your setup
    Tilt Sensor:
    Port
    1.Channel 8 Futaba TX.
    3. To Roll sensor
    4. To Tilt Servo

Roll Sensor:
    Port
    1. From Tilt sensor
    4. To roll servo

Symptoms: Hi, im new with radians and i was looking on the forum threads but i not get a clear idea

My problem is with a shaking or vertical vibration when i shooting

I made two shootings in the same place, but the second one doesn`t present shaking moves

The two shoots was taking in the same place, same day

It was little windy day

Thanks Andy and Gary, i found interesting the posible thermal issue because we film in Sonora Desert`s, also i will check the tilt`s gain of the radian

You are rigth Gary about the hills and the wind, because on the car`s shoot i was farthest to the hill than the shaky video was took.

With the same gains, days before i made this shot with my 5d III

By the way, what do you think about focus, i was in inifito but i see the image blurry

PS, how i can embed videos on the threads?

Thanks

Juan Pablo

5. Gary Haynes

Staff Member

Juan Pablo your embed worked this time. As to focus most lenses, if you simply rotate the focus ring to the max infinity position go to past the actual infinity spot and are then out of focus. What I do is point the camera at some distant point, use the auto focus in the camera (assuming that it is spot on), note the actual spot indicated on the lens distance reading, turn AF off and put a piece of tape on the focus ring/lens barrel so that it doesn't move.

Also in post you should use some sharpening. All sensors in still cameras need some type of sharpening. For stills a photographer usually uses unsharp mask. For videos I've played with unsharp mask and just the sharpening filters. While there is a difference, done correctly the sharpening is easier, one adjustment rather that than 3 in the unsharp side. This is with Premiere CS6. I think FCP has the same setup not sure what you are using for editing.

Nice stable video in your post. Smooooooth....

6. Howard Dapp

Howard Dapp Active Member

Yes, what Gary said... Smooooth. Your videos are very stable and smooth. Can you share your settings? Was any post stabilization used in the following video?

7. Pablo

Pablo New Member

Thanks Howard, that video was stabilized in post, but this is my setting on my 2 radian system

Tilt Radian:
    Gain 155, Slew Rate 40
    Roll Radian:
    Gain 95, Slew Rate 60

But in the video "Vuelo 5d" (with the same settings) i only have to amplify to 104% to avoid black borders

Best Juan Pablo

8. Pablo

Pablo New Member

Gary, thanks for the advise, now im appliying the sharp filters on my video

With the focus issue's in dslr, do you think in some case is better use a hdv camcorder?

Best

Juan Pablo

9. Gary Haynes

Staff Member

Juan it isn't a focus issue. Or at least it isn't if you have carefully focused for infinity. Take some photos, not video, with auto focus on. Check the images on your computer to see that they are sharp and if they are you now know the infinity point for your lens.

Any CMOS sensor will usually need some type of post sharpening or unsharp mask applied. Just don't over do it or it starts to look 'artsy'. You can try a camcorder, borrow the output from a friend, put it into your edit program and see if sharpening improves the image. Betting that you will like the sharpened results better.

Question for those of you running the Sony 760 series. Do you find that you are adding a bit of sharpening to your output?

10. Joe Azzarelli

Joe Azzarelli Active Member

Setting shutter speed to 120ish for 60p helps with sharpness. Somewhat less for 30p or 24p.

Have not used sharpening but not opposed to a little.

Joe