/dist/images/branding/favicon

Service on Movi Pro in Norway

Discussion in 'MōVI Pro' started by Mikkel-Becker Aakervik, Jan 27, 2020.

1. Mikkel-Becker Aakervik

We have had the Movi pro for a year and travelled quite on two longer productions with it. We have lately experienced that it begins shaking and has a quite loud electronic noise often when we power up. the only way we have been able to get it back to normal has been to to a reset of the Movi and then running Auto Tune. We are wondering if the mothers had some impact on our travels and that this could be the reason. Freefly has a service where you send in the Movi pro for 450 USD but that is in the US. Any way to have a service/ check up closer to Norway or in Norway, or maybe there is a fix or a way to understand where the problem is.

2. Graham Futerfas

Graham Futerfas Well-Known Member

I have had my Movi do two "Checkups" over the last three years, and it's been a good experience, but I'm in the US and I know International shipping can be very expensive. Did you contact Freefly Support about your issue?

You sound like you know what you're doing, but from your description, your problems sound like they could be related to your Tuning, or maybe mechanical. Can you make a video of the problem and post it? I recognize there may be a difference between normal overly-strong Motor noise, and horrible "something's really wrong with this machine" noise.

Would you be able to post screenshots of your settings in the App, including Tuning, Advanced Tuning, General->Expert, and Majestic?

Are you only using Auto-Tune? Do you do any manual adjustments of Stiffness or Filters to get rid of the noise? Is your master Output Filter set to a different number than "1"?

What Firmware version are you running?

Another thing you can check is the Monitor->Charts and see the Motor Outputs and see what may be going on when you get this noise, and see if there are any errors or faults.

Make sure everything is clamped down tightly on the Movi and there's nothing loose to create vibrations. Do the Noise\Vibrations go away if you put a hand on the cage to dampen it?

I once thought I had tweaked the square-ness of the cage, and that could be something you could loosen up all around and let it relax, then re-tighten the clamps.

Alejandro Selman likes this.
  3. Mikkel-Becker Aakervik

Thanks Graham, posting a video I did with my Iphone. It is turned on a perfect leveled surface

Any thought would be much apreciated.

Kind regards
    Mikkel

4. Graham Futerfas

Your Stiffness values look really high for that setup -- I'd probably be in the 75-120 range of values with that FS7 and lens, and you're closer to 200. Filters probably around 4 (assuming Master Output filter is set to 1).

I would try manually tuning these settings to get rid of the vibrations. It's a quick fix. Can you connect via the app on an iPhone? It's easy to see which axis is vibrating because of the red-light indicators, and then you can manually tune them by reducing Stiffness or increasing Filter.

Try putting a hand on the gimbal ring when you Auto-tune, and try a lower Auto-tune setting. I usually use 50%, and I still have to tune down some vibrations afterward.

Not sure what that cheeseplate base it's sitting on it. Does it hold the ring in place with a clamp? If it's on a slippery surface, like metal or wood, the feet can slide around, then the motors don't have anything to push against, which can cause over-tuning and tuning errors.

5. Mikkel-Becker Aakervik

6. Mikkel-Becker Aakervik

Thank you Graham. Setting it to around 100 took away the vibrations. But if I Autotune it goes back up to around 150 and then the vibrations are back. Would I manually need to change the values each time, or should I skip Auto Tune? Do you think there is something wrong with my actual Movi? Posted images of my setup, I have created this to quickly move to interview setup, As we mostly have interviews on our productions.

7. Graham Futerfas

I always have to do some manual tuning after an AutoTune. It typically comes up too stiff, even at 50%. It's important to know how to manually tune your gimbal, and there used to be some great tutorial videos of Tabb from Freefly showing how to do it. I think it was back in the days of the M10 and M15, but they're still relevant today.