/dist/images/branding/favicon

Securing the 'MōVI Adjustable Top Camera Plate' to the Camera

Discussion in 'MōVI Pro' started by Nick Pasquariello, Jan 16, 2018.

1. Nick Pasquariello

Nick Pasquariello New Member

New to the MōVI world, looked around a bit for this and tried to spot it in pictures what others are doing, but I'm not gaining any ground.

I've got an aging DMSC-1 Red Scarlet on hand, and have tried with and without the Wooden Camera Top Plate that I have. No matter what I've tried, I can't get more than one hole of FreeFly's Top Camera Plate to line up with the holes on the camera/WC top plate.

With only one hole lined up, it's hard to get it true and straight to fit into the corresponding slider on the MōVI cage. So that means I have to leave it a little loose, line it up, slide it in. But even then, I can crank the allen wrench down tight but it's not going to be perfectly straight, and will loosen up fairly easily.

Anyway. Point is, I'm curious what people are screwing it into on DSMC-1 Reds, DSMC-2 Reds, and Alexa Minis. Anyone have a good solution they can point me to?

2. Graham Futerfas

Graham Futerfas Well-Known Member

To be honest, I commonly only use one screw on the top plate. I've had similar issues as you with the holes not lining up, but another problem I've encountered is things aren't perfectly square with some of these top and bottom plates, and if you have two screw in the bottom and two screws in the top plate, then the camera may stick when you try to slide it back and forth in the cage. With only one screw in the top, there's enough 'play' in the plate that it can slide more smoothly.

That said, I think even with one screw on top, it gives enough connection with the camera and the cage.

What I would love Freefly to do is offer a Top Plate with one hole and one long hole groove, so you can get two screws in even when your cheese plate doesn't perfectly line up. Seems like every manufacturer puts the holes at different spacings.

3. Graham Futerfas

Graham Futerfas Well-Known Member

4. Nick Pasquariello

Nick Pasquariello New Member

Interesting points Graham. Without much experience, I am concerned about a loose top plate leading to oscillation during the Autotune, which throws off the Autotune. I still have a bit to learn about Autotune and what it is and is-not doing, but the FreeFly setup videos themselves mention that loose bits can throw off the Autotune for this reason (which makes a decent amount of sense to me, on it's own).

That Ignite Digi plate does look nice. I got their Offsets and have yet to try them; I'm sure they'd help with an Alexa Mini because that camera is very front-heavy. The Red camera bodies are more evenly balanced so I'm not having any issue right now with my Scarlet and a very small amount of accessories and small light lenses.