/dist/images/branding/favicon

Screw problems

Discussion in 'MōVI M10' started by Brett Harrison, Dec 20, 2013.

1. Brett Harrison

Brett Harrison Active Member

My blue handled hex key tool started slipping and was put together incorrectly without aligning the flat indent with the screw that holds the piece in place.

This was reassembled in a shop while I was away and I took it on face value that it was broken without inspecting it - until recently.

Unfortunately in the mean time I haven't been able to find the right set of hex keys and out of desperation I have burred the inside of the key key nut on the handle bar (above the pan motor).

It's on so tight that I can't get it off using my tools, and the repaired blue Freefly hex key is now ineffective due to the damage from less-than-perfectly matching hex keys (correct measurement but apparently not precise enough).

Could anyone suggest a way to remove the bolt? I have a ninja star on order and I won't be able to use it if I can't remove the top handle.

Has anyone else noticed that it's very difficult to screw the handle bar down enough that it doesn't slowly slip when you're holding a 5kg load pointing right up or right down? Perhaps I am screwing in the bolts incorrectly.

Thanks.
    Brett.

2. Gary McCready

Gary McCready Active Member

I don't know what rig you are working on, but if I strip a hex I just usually cut a slot in it with a dremel tool, and use a flat blade. You can also get hex wrenches. metric and otherwise, just about anywhere. Lowes, Home Depot. I've even gone so far as to shave off the outside edges square with a dremal, (very carefully) and used a small vice grip.
    Since I use alot of loctite, I've stripped alot of heads. It's a bit easier since I switched to the purple (small screws) loctite. from the red.

3. Gary Haynes

Gary Haynes Administrator
    Staff Member

A small set of vice grips might also work. And if you do use loctite then the purple 222, hard to find, is the stuff to use.

You should be able to hand tighten the clamps and not have slippage since they are the metal boom clamps.

4. Andy Johnson-Laird

Andy Johnson-Laird Administrator
    Staff Member

I'm not 100% sure which screw on above the pan motor that you're talking about, but some possible ideas:

1. Can you grip the screw head with a small set of locking pliers? You may need to file a flat on the screw head (or even two, on opposite sites of the head) to get a better grip.

2. Use a soldering iron to heat up the threaded insert into which the screw goes. After a few seconds this will cause the insert to expand slightly and might allow you to undo the screw. If you hold the soldering iron on the insert too long it will also heat the screw thread so the advantage might be lost. I've also held an ice cube on a screw head while doing the soldering iron thing and it causes the bolt to shrink.

3. Get a Dremel tool with a cutting disk and cut a channel across the top of the screw head so you can use a flat-bladed screwdriver to undo it.

Andy.

5. Andy Johnson-Laird

Andy Johnson-Laird Administrator
    Staff Member

Jeez...talk about group support...and we even have similar ideas! :)

Andy.

6. James Leonzio

James Leonzio Member

7. Brett Harrison

Brett Harrison Active Member

Gary, Andy and James: thanks guys! That's very helpful. I will report back with results.