/dist/images/branding/favicon

Sample video--need some advice.

Discussion in 'MōVI M15' started by Adam Brennan, Dec 7, 2014.

1. Adam Brennan

Adam Brennan Member

Today I tried out my new Movi M15. Nothing spectacular..just some down time with my dogs. I can say I am impressed how easy it is to balance this rig. I have not chosen what camera I am going to get yet in the 4K or up resolution wise, but I used my canon 1DX on this footage with no monitor so kind of went in blind. If you watch the end of the video where the car is driving off and I am running by it's side you can see the footage going up and down slightly. What am I doing to cause this? I looked at the motors at rest and all under 3% or at 0. Again, this is video is nothing special...just screwing around to get a feel for the rig.

2. Austin Glass

Austin Glass Active Member

Short answer: you're running! The up and down movement you make when running or walking is not automatically removed. It will take some practice, but you must learn how to walk "correctly" in order to eliminate the effect. My method is to never fully extend my legs. By keeping my knees bent slightly, I can concentrate on keeping the camera height as consistent as possible. I like to think of the camera on a path in 3D space, and my job is to make sure that path is as smooth as possible.

Balázs Révész likes this.
  3. Kurt Wallrath

Kurt Wallrath Member

Hi Adam,

What's the focal length of the lens you were using when you were running next to the car? The wider the lens, the less movement will be translated into a moving shot. However, to answer your question regarding the slight up and down movement of the MoVI near the end of your video, as I'm sure you're aware, the MoVI isn't designed to compensate for vertical movement. This is where glide stepping (as others have suggested) or stepping in a fashion that eliminates any up-and-down movement. You may want to learn how to roller-skate! The type of shot you were shooting looks like it would be difficult to eliminate the vertical movement because it was a low, side-ways shot. I find shooting out the side of a van or car works well for that shot :)

I hope this helps,

-K

4. Adam Brennan

Adam Brennan Member

okay this makes sense! I am still learning this stuff. HUGE THANK YOU to you both. Is there a site I can read up on how to walk?

5. Kurt Wallrath

Kurt Wallrath Member

Adam, I'd suggest just walking down your street and pay close attention to how there's a slight dip in your eye's elevation at the longest part of your stride. Now, as you walk, bend your knees and imagine you're lowering your hips by 4-6 inches. Keep your hips at a constant height as you walk. This will help eliminate the slight "dip" when you step. After a few paces, you may feel a burning in your quads. This is where practice will come in handy :)

The shot you were trying to accomplish near the end of your shot is still going to be difficult by just walking. That's why I recommended some sort of "rolling" help (roller skates, out the side of a car, skateboard, wheelchair, etc)

6. Adam Brennan

Adam Brennan Member

Ha! Thanks Kurt for the additional advice. I am going to try what you suggest. I was using a 35mm F/1.4 Canon L series lens

7. Andy Johnson-Laird

Andy Johnson-Laird Administrator
    Staff Member

Search the forum for "Groucho Marx" Adam -- seriously.

The problem is that the MōVI only can remove (because of the physics) rotation about the camera -- not vertical or lateral motion -- those axes cannot be dealt with because there is nothing in the physics of the tilt, roll and pan axes that can remove "translation" along those axes.

Andy.

Chris Harrison likes this.
  8. Adam Brennan

Adam Brennan Member

Thanks Andy..I will chck it out