/dist/images/branding/favicon

Rusty Screws

Discussion in 'ALTA' started by Dylan Glockler, Apr 1, 2017.

1. Dylan Glockler

Anyone else experience rusty screws? I flew one time when it started to rain lightly mid-flight, immediately packed it up and dried it off as well as I could. I noticed some of the tiny, panel cover screws on the body were rusty. Then we spent three weeks in Costa Rica. A lot of humidity. I've always kept a bunch of silica packets throughout the case but still - most of the black screws have gone rusty.

Any thoughts on how to treat/prevent/deal with this? I've been told they should be fine, though unsightly and an aircraft mechanic suggested wiping them with alcohol and then some type of oil.

Attached Files:

2. Ben Platts

Ben Platts Active Member

Yeah all mine all really rusty too. Doesn't look great! Surely some non rusting screws would've been a better choice for something designed to fly in light rain!

Katya Nelhams-Wright likes this.
  3. Katya Nelhams-Wright

4. Andy Johnson-Laird

Andy Johnson-Laird Administrator
    Staff Member

I'd spray remove the screws, spray lightly with WD-40, wipe off the excess and go from there. Or, for a more industrial approach use Corrosion-X. (http://www.corrosionx.com/corrosionx.html).

(Hey, Katya....long time no see on the forum!)
    Andy

Forensic Software & sUAV / Drone Analyst : Photographer : Videographer : Pilot (Portland, Oregon, USA): Trees=2, Ground=1, Props=11. :(
    The Ground Is The Limitâ„¢
    ---------- Forensic Drone Analyst : Forensic sUAV Analyst : Forensic Unmanned Aircraft Analyst : Forensic Drone Expert

Katya Nelhams-Wright likes this.