/dist/images/branding/favicon

Roll swing

Discussion in 'MōVI M15' started by Stefan Helborg, Sep 3, 2016.

1. Stefan Helborg

Hi

When I only use tilt, my roll swings slightly from side to side. Actually my pan also swings slightly.

The Gimbal is pretty well balanced.

What am I doing wrong?

password: roll

2. Andy Johnson-Laird

Andy Johnson-Laird Administrator
    Staff Member

Stefan:
    The first thing to do is try and identify where the roll (and/or pan) commands are coming from (presuming, of course, the MoVI is just doing what it's been told to do) -- can you bring up whatever app you use to configure the MoVI and monitor the radio channels -- is the controller actually sending a roll or pan signal?

You don't mention what you're using to control the MoVI, but if it's a Spektrum radio, look at the Servo Monitor screen too and see whether you also see any movement in channels other than tilt.

Andy

Forensic Software & sUAV / Drone Analyst : Photographer : Videographer : Pilot (Portland, Oregon, USA): Trees=2, Ground=1, Props=11. :(
    The Ground Is The Limit™
    ---------- Forensic Drone Analyst : Forensic sUAV Analyst : Forensic Unmanned Aircraft Analyst : Forensic Drone Expert

3. Graham Futerfas

Graham Futerfas Well-Known Member

Hi Stefan, is this when you're using the Movi Controller to tilt?

I also wonder if you're in Aerial or Handheld mode, or what your heading assist is set to. Your Multirotor's not in the air for this demo, so if you set to Handheld and Heading assist to None, do you still have this problem?

4. Stefan Helborg

Hi

Thanks for your reply.

I use the MoVI controller. In fact, it's in majestic mode, so I can not affect the pan at all. For safety's sake, I turned down the pan and roll, and I can also see in my MoVI monitor on the controller, that it is not given a pan or roll signal.

5. Stefan Helborg

It's set to airborne mode and GPS assist, so I will try your sollution. But I gues I will have this roll problem in the air as well...!

6. Graham Futerfas

Wouldn't you need to switch from Majestic to Remote on the controller? If I try to dual op in Majestic Mode, it will just go back to neutral when I take my hand off the stick, won't it?

7. Stefan Helborg

Hmm I don't quite follow you. When I'm in majestic mode, I can only use tilt on the controller, and when I'm in dual mode,, I can use both pan and tilt...

8. Graham Futerfas

Sorry Stefan, I don't operate my Movi in the air, just Handheld, so this isn't my expertise, and I mainly use geared wheels and sometimes a Spektrum controller, not a Movi controller. Please bear with me and ignore if it doesn't help.

I dug this out of the old Movi firmware manual (4.0) -- nothing about it in the Akira manual that I can find:

"Gimbal Application - Configures the gimbal for either Handheld or Airborne use. In Handheld use, the center position of the Dual Operator Mode Switch enables Pan Majestic operation. In Airborne use, the center position of the Dual Operator Mode Switch parks the gimbal for takeoff and landing."

So my question is, when you say you're in Majestic Mode, what do you mean? The 3-way switch on your Movi controller is in the center position? That's what it would mean to me in Handheld mode... Remote, Majestic, or Kill on the switch. In Majestic mode, if I try to tilt up or down, it will tilt, but then will return to center position when I release the joystick. This isn't really ideal for remote operation. I always have the switch on remote when I want to pan or tilt.

Why are you in Majestic mode if you want to operate remotely? Just so you don't accidentally Pan the camera, and want to let the drone do the panning for you? Again, I'm not a drone operator and have very little experience with it, so I'm curious what the reasoning is.

9. Stefan Helborg

Hello and thanks for your input.

Yes on MoVI controller can I choose between Dual (Remote) Majestic and Kill mode. And you are right that if I want to have full control of the gimbal, then it is in Dual mode. But if I want that camera orientation faces the drone forward so I choose Majestic mode, and then only have control over the tilt. However, it does not go back in the center when I release the joystick but stays where I put it.

For this experiment, I just put it in Majestic, so I could not get to affect the pan.

10. Graham Futerfas

Got it. To answer your original question about Roll and Pan Swing, it seems to me the Movi is doing what it's designed to do in Majestic Mode -- keep the Horizon and Heading constant. If your platform isn't perfectly level or stable, the Roll motor will compensate as you tilt. Similarly, the Pan is trying to maintain heading based on GPS.

If you switch to Dual Op\Remote, I would assume you might still get the Roll Swing compensating for the level horizon, but not the Pan.

11. Andy Johnson-Laird

Staff Member

Stefan:
    Sounds like you have confirmed on the Movi Controller that there is not pan or roll signal being sent.

I suspect that the problem you're having is with the the MoVI itself, but I'm just trying to eliminate the possibility that it's the MoVI Controller.

Just to be clear with the MoVI in Airborne Mode here's what I found on my M5 with the MoVI Controller (I'm running 4.0.2 firmware on the M5 by the way):
    1. MoVI Controller ("MC") in Dual ("D") Mode: MC controls pan and tilt. Roll Trim is active. Gimbal stabilized.
    2. MC in Majestic ("M") Mode: MC has no control over pan and tilt. Roll Trim inactive. Gimbal follows aircraft motion.
    3. MC in Kill ("K") Mode: MC has no control over pan and tilt. Roll Trim is inactive. Gimbal goes "limp."
    So what's puzzling me is that you're saying in 2 (Airborne and Majestic Mode) above, you do actually have control of tilt, but you're seeing uncommanded roll action too?

Which version of the firmware are you running on the gimbal -- it could be that 4.0.2 is different from Akira and that's why I'm not seeing the same results as you are.

Question: Can you connect up the app to the MoVI and then find out out which version of the firmware you have installed on the MoVI please? (On the Mac you see it as Major and Minor version when you use the About menu for the app.)

A couple of other things that might be worth trying with the MoVI in Airborne Mode:

1. In Majestic Mode on the Controller, use the Menu Select to go to the Tx Monitor, then scroll to see the Roll: line item. Verify that the MoVI controller's "Roll Trim" buttons both (a) show up lateral movement on the Roll: line and also (b) do actually roll the MoVI.
    This is merely checking to see that the MoVI Controller actually does have control of the roll axis.

2. Connect up with the MoVI app to the MoVI and use the Chart option to chart the Motors. Verify that when you are in Majestic mode on the MoVI controller and you command a tilt up and tilt down what you see for the green Motor Roll and blue Motor Pan motors....are they showing a deflection on the trace to the right (I'm using the Mac version of the MoVI app).

Given that it is indeed an issue with the MoVI itself, I'm afraid there's nothing more to do but email support@freeflysystems.com.

Andy

Forensic Software & sUAV / Drone Analyst : Photographer : Videographer : Pilot (Portland, Oregon, USA): Trees=2, Ground=1, Props=11. :(
    The Ground Is The Limit™
    ---------- Forensic Drone Analyst : Forensic sUAV Analyst : Forensic Unmanned Aircraft Analyst : Forensic Drone Expert

12. Stefan Helborg

Ups actually it was in Handheld mode due to the fact, that I don't want it to center it's tilt in the event of lost contact with the MoVI controller. (witch I actually have enhanced up to over 700meters range)

password: movi

13. Andy Johnson-Laird

Staff Member

Not a problem, Stefan -- it's still worth trying the two other tests I mentioned in my posting above ("A couple of other things...."). Let me know what you find.

Andy

The Ground Is The Limit™

14. Stefan Helborg

I tested both your suggestion 1 and 2 in the video.... I think :)

15. Graham Futerfas

Hi Stefan, I'm wondering if the Movi is compensating for not being mounted perfectly level. Are these significant movements when you're flying? Do you see the roll shifting in your shots?

I have a camera prep today with my M15, and if I have time I'll shoot a test for you. Otherwise your setup looks very good.

Is it possible to put the actual Vimeo links into the post? Or embed them with a full-screen button? I can't see these videos full-screen and they're very small on my monitor. :)

16. Stefan Helborg

Yes I have roll shifting when turning 180 degrees, but I think averybody has that.

Hmm actually I embeddet it with my custom colors and the full screen button, but I can see, it isn't there.
    However I think you can rightclick on the window and choose "open in new window" and that should open i full screen.

17. Andy Johnson-Laird

Staff Member

Sorry....I didn't watch the video until after I had posted. Apologies.

I suspect there is indeed an issue with the MoVI -- so it's time to email FF and reference this thread.

Sorry I couldn't be more help.
    Andy.

The Ground Is The Limit™

18. Stefan Helborg

Ok thanks. I will do that :)