/dist/images/branding/favicon

Roll servo exhausted?

Discussion in '3 Axis Gimbal' started by Sedric "Zellevision" Sari, Mar 5, 2014.

1. Sedric "Zellevision" Sari

Hi guys.
    Trying to get rid of CS 3-ax roll vibrations, FF Servos and radians on axes. Lates FW. Same weight as always.
    Got some tiny vibs, sometimes little more, but mostly less... Still they are there. Slow flying as fast. Different gains, do difference.

Changed the shaft and bearings, same. Changed the roll servo, same. No gap at "wheel at roll bom" and "correct" tensed belt. Still feels like the roll servo has some tiny gap, which escalates at the cam and the recording ofc. Should there be any gap at all in the servo?? Can I try other servo brand? Want a servo with NO gap at the teeths, so I can eliminate that.

Tilt and pan are perfect, FF servos and radians too!. And for the record, we have 4 CS's (two 8's and two 6's) all with FF gimbals, all with the same roll problem after... 1,5 year of usage. Mostly Sony CX730, some D800. All 4 moderate used. And yes, when they where new, they where like they should be, more or less very good, with some minor errors, but nothing like they are today.

Ideas?

Can I upgrade to brushless and use the radians? Which sounds like the best solution. If this works I could upgrade JUST the roll.
    Can I upgrade to brushless and use, what controller if not radians?
    Dont say MöVI, we cant afford more then 1, have 1.. :)

Thanks in advance

2. Andy Johnson-Laird

Andy Johnson-Laird Administrator
    Staff Member

Hi Cedric:
    By "gap" do you mean that it's loose -- you can hold the large pulley and move it back and forth a bit?
    If so, check the two small "grub" screws (sometimes called a "set screw") on the large pulley -- you may find they have come loose.

Also check the 2.5mm machine screw holding the small pulley on the top of the servo. I've had that come loose too.

Andy.

3. Sedric "Zellevision" Sari

Hi Andy. No, the large pulley is stable, as the set screws.. When I hold the servopulley tight, and move the roll bar you can hear little clicks as the bearings hits each other, and roll moves tiny tiny up/down..

Is there another servo brand I can try with?
    Talked to Janne yesterday, he had the same problem and at the end upgraded to brushless on the roll (and tilt). Sad is that you have to change from radian to something else, and all that comes with that :(

4. Andy Johnson-Laird

Andy Johnson-Laird Administrator
    Staff Member

Hi Sedric:

Are these little clicks coming from the servo, do you think? If so, it sounds like the internal gears in the servo might be the problem as you suggest.

I don't think there is another brand of servo that work correctly (the servos need to rotate continuously), but you might want to email to support@freeflysystems.com and ask.

Andy.