Roll Radian Suddenly Doesn't Work

Discussion in 'Radian' started by Mark Melville, Feb 4, 2013.

1. Mark Melville

Mark Melville Member

So low and behold tomorrows was going to be a big day. I was going to bring the bird on set and my pilot was coming down for a couple of hours to finally shoot some video.

Tonight I charged all the batteries, fired up MK Tools and everything is fine. I decide to test the gimabal and the roll radian isn't stabilizing. The green led is on solid but the yellow is binking very fast. The roll axis has no tension despite being on. If I pitch the bird around, tilt will compensate but roll just sits there. I reinstalled the firmware and checked everything through the Radian program. It is programmed on roll 1. I've tried unplugging the bat but nothing. This worked less than a week ago and has not been touched.

Here are the screenshots in the 3 modes. I can see there is servo output but the servo doesn't seem to be making the connection with the Radian

Attached Files:

2. Mark Melville

Mark Melville Member

Also didn't mention but pan works fine. It's the roll radian. Makes me wonder if the servo just doesn't want to cooperate.

3. Mark Melville

Mark Melville Member

A couple of things I didn't mention per Tabb's request.

Cinestar 8
    3-axis gimbal
    Radian on each axis
    Gimbal Radio: Graupner MX 16
    PPM Signal

4. Gary Haynes

Gary Haynes Administrator
    Staff Member

Mark check the software on roll and make sure the mode channel didn't somehow get changed. Click Read after connecting and see what it says.

5. Tabb Firchau

Tabb Firchau Administrator
    Staff Member

As a quick test disconnect everything but power and the servo out on the roll radian and see if it turns on? Also is the model sitting still for the initialization period for the gyros? This can confuse people from time to time.

Tabb

6. Mark Melville

Mark Melville Member

Tabb the CS8 is sitting on the table during power up and I checked and rechecked the Radain and it's in mode 5. I see that it's outputting a signal but the servos not responding. I'll try a couple of things and see what happens.

7. Gustav Raberg

Gustav Raberg Member

8. Gary Haynes

Gary Haynes Administrator
    Staff Member

Mark any particular reason you have the deadband set to 40? That's the only thing I saw that was a bit different.

9. Mark Melville

Mark Melville Member

Gary the 40 dead band was by accident and I reset it to 5. It's not the Radian, the servos dead. What I don't understand is this servo has had absolutely no mileage on it. It's never even been up for a test flight with video. I plugged a Futaba servo in and low and behold it works. So it's a bad FF servo.

10. Josh Lambeth

Josh Lambeth Well-Known Member

Mark, Reset it back to 1.02 firmware on JUST ROLL and it should work. I had the same issue but on 1.02 it works fine. Let us know if that works or not.

Josh

11. Mark Melville

Mark Melville Member

I'll try it but I'm 99% sure it's dead. It was working fine the other day on 1.03

12. Josh Lambeth

Josh Lambeth Well-Known Member

Mine did too for a few flights then stopped.

13. Mark Melville

Mark Melville Member

Tried putting it back to fw1.02 but to no avail. It's dead.