/dist/images/branding/favicon

Roll motor mount slipping

Discussion in 'MōVI M10' started by Casey McBeath, Sep 27, 2013.

1. Casey McBeath

Casey McBeath Member

In the field, not readily able to weigh package. Best guess from preps is around 9.5 lbs. Could be slightly more. But even well balanced, when panned/tilted dramatically the roll motor mount can spin or slip a fraction of an inch.

Very scary.

Is this just a payload issue?

2. Tabb Firchau

Tabb Firchau Administrator
    Staff Member

Casey, Can you be more specific? Not sure what you think it slipping?

3. Gary Haynes

Gary Haynes Administrator
    Staff Member

Perhaps a photo or short video showing what is happening?

4. Casey McBeath

Casey McBeath Member

Gary, Tabb, Thank you for the concern and quick replies. I'll get some pictures after the shoot. I've cranked down the bracket that attaches the roll arm to the "drop boom". It slid down a fraction of an inch and swung away close to 90 degees. Thankfully I've got the "cameraman cringe/catch" down pretty good. Happened twice. I'll post some photos in about 6 hours.

Huge learning day today. Using a MoVI as the only way to shoot a narrative is intense.

5. Casey McBeath

Casey McBeath Member

image.jpg
    Just behind the main power switch. After a flight from LA to NYC I experienced a few Rough handling issues. This exact payload worked issue free at home base, but has been problematic since arriving. I tightened the bracket down and haven't had an issue since. Good example that these poor things aren't up to shrugging off a date with airport tossers.

6. Gary Haynes

Gary Haynes Administrator
    Staff Member

Ah you mean the Samsonite Gorilla testers had a go at your equipment. But other than loosening the screws it functioned flawlessly. It's a good idea to check all of the screws as a preventive maintenance program. Coming from the Cinestar side I check all screws for security usually once a month.

7. Casey McBeath

Casey McBeath Member

Definitely a good habit to start implementing on new jobs

8. Mike Hagadorn

Mike Hagadorn Member

After assembling and working with many units, Mulitrotors and MoVI alike as Gary recommends, check the tightness of your screws on a regular basis. We tighten the screws at the factory by hand and make sure not to over tighten them. When adding payloads and giving the unit its first few good runs I like to recheck the screws for a firm tightness. If you have your unit in NYC we have booth space at Cinegear tomorrow. Feel free to swing by if you need any assistance. Or perhaps to pick up a t-shirt!

Cheers
    Mike

9. Casey McBeath

Casey McBeath Member

We'll be on set, but I have someone I can send in for some of those super tempting t-shirts