/dist/images/branding/favicon

Roll balance

Discussion in 'MōVI Pro' started by Ulrich Thomsen, Feb 25, 2017.

1. Ulrich Thomsen

Ulrich Thomsen New Member

Hi,

Why does my roll balance keep centring itself?

overall the system is balanced, but when I roll the gimbal to its other positions, it's supposed to stay like that, but instead it rolls back and centres itself. it's the same in both directions. The camera package it not heavy to one side. It's perfect in balance -- when it's centred.

What am I missing here?

2. Graham Futerfas

Graham Futerfas Well-Known Member

Hi Ulrich, I've noticed this too, but haven't put a lot of thought into it. Maybe it has to do with the 'Roper-Flipper' cable that connects the GCU to the TSU. That could be putting some tension on the Roll Axis and causing it to return to a neutral position. I could be wrong.

3. Chris Fox

Chris Fox Active Member

Hi Ulrich,

This more than likely means you vertical balance in the tilt stage is too low. Hence the camera will always hang back in the centre position. As you raise the camera you will find the tendency changes for the camera to always fall away from the centre position when the vertical adjustment is too high.

Depending on the length of the lens you are using tilt the lens vertically and then adjust the tilt cage position within the frame.

Hope that helps.

4. Ulrich Thomsen

The tilt balance "front to back" is perfect in balance. Also the vertical axis tilt balance.

5. Chris Fox

Chris Fox Active Member

have you got any cables running from the camera to the ring or handle bar?

There is an inter relationship between the vertical height of the camera in the tilt stage and the roll balance.

6. Ulrich Thomsen

Only default cables...

What's that inter relationship about ? What can I do different then ? If I change both the tilt balances, they go out of balance

#6 Ulrich Thomsen, Feb 26, 2017
    Last edited: Feb 26, 2017
  7. Chris Fox

Chris Fox Active Member

If the camera is too high in the cage, then the tilt balance and roll balance is going to be statically unstable (wanting to roll away from the centre all the time) If the camera is too low then it then you will be able to balance the camera forward and backwards in the tilt stage (as it hangs in position) and you will be able to get it to balance in roll, but again it will be hanging in position.

The problem with the camera hanging in position is that it will appear balanced, but when you start throwing the gimbal around, you will lose your horizon.

When the camera is raised up and you achieve the balance where you can put the camera in any position and it stays there, then you are on the money.

Here is Tabb explaining it

Hope that helps .....

8. Ulrich Thomsen

Hi Chris,

I understand this. That's what I said previously; all the tilt balances are in perfect balance -- "front to back" and the vertical tilt axis (using the terms of the manual)

#8 Ulrich Thomsen, Feb 27, 2017
    Last edited: Feb 28, 2017
  9. Chris Fox

Chris Fox Active Member

Hi Ulrich,

What does the balance display on the MoVI Pro screen say, are all the lines in the centre for tilt, roll and pan?

10. Ulrich Thomsen

they "dance" a little around the center. I also hear some motor working, as if I need to manually lover the setting. Even when pick it up.

#10 Ulrich Thomsen, Feb 27, 2017
    Last edited: Feb 27, 2017