/dist/images/branding/favicon

Roll balance keeps skewing?

Discussion in 'MōVI M10' started by Lliam Worthington, Nov 20, 2013.

1. Lliam Worthington

We are having a couple of issues with our MOVI. (RED Scarlet - with Side Handle config)

Initially I thought it must just be due to a poor balance. But we spent a lot of time achieving excellent balance today but still with the same result. In majestic mode it holds it's roll axis/balance - or at least I don't recall it skewing as yet. But once we switch to Remote, it is not long before it seems to get it's horizon confused and remains at a skewed angle. This happened multiple times. We roll trimmed from there, but even when apparently straight by eye,we then still struggle to get smooth lateral pans and it reverts to being off kilter?

Top handle...

Holding by the top handle causes oscillation unless stiffness settings are around 30 or lower.
    Similar to what happens when on the stand and it has on dampening of the vibrations. We can have a lot higher levels of stiffness if we are not holding it via the top handle. What levels of stiffness are people using and achieving with RED Epics and Scarlets? I know it will differ with peoples configs, but a ball park would be much appreciated.

Just to confirm, when people are balancing their Epic/Scarlets with sidehandle, everyone is sliding the cage off centre at the back slightly where the MOVI logo and motor is? (Similart to how it comes off centre in the box on shipping)

What are we missing/doing wrong?

Thanks for the help

Best

Lliam

2. Lee Dashiell

Lee Dashiell New Member

We are having the same issue when we're using the remote and attached to the hell but never in the majestic mode.

3. Lliam Worthington

Thanks Lee. Seems unlikely it's something we are missing then, and something is up.
    Really hoping someone from FF can chime in.

How is your Vmount setup on the top bars working out btw?

Best

Lliam

4. Gary Haynes

Gary Haynes Administrator
    Staff Member

Lliam check to see that the 'trim' roll button on the transmitter shows that the indicator on the screen is centered. When you move it left and right when it hits center it will beep. Also check in the GUI if you have any roll trim applied there so that you aren't working one against the other.

Holding just the top handle will need lower settings than holding the side handles. Less absorption of the overall resonance in the frame.

The side to side adjustment of the roll beam is to help with gross adjustment of the roll balance. With a RED and side handle you will need to adjust that first with the camera installed on the tilt bar. Slide the camera mount so that you have some room on either side for the fine adjustment, adjust the roll beam to get the roll as close as possible, then make the final 'fine' adjustment by sliding the camera mount.

Make sure that you have tilt already dialed in. Since it can be tough to get to the screws with the regular tools I bought a standard L shaped metric key to use when the camera body leave little space to get to the beam screws.

5. Brad Allen

Brad Allen New Member

Hi Gary,

Thanks for your reply. Lliam and I are co-owners of the particular MoVI unit he is reffering to, but he's swamped with work today and so asked me to reply to you :)

In the config tool we have our roll trim set to around -2.6. This seems to nail our horizon and this holds in majestic mode. On the remote, we have roll trim set to the neutral position. When transitioning from majestic mode to the remote, the roll balance also holds initially, that is until we actually start using the MoVI. After a minute or two's worth of use, the roll balance is off. It's at this point that we then go to the remote and try and offset it back to the horizon level with roll trim. Often times however, it's so far gone that the roll trim is not able to correct it out - and the condition only seems to get worse with more use.

Powering off and back on into majestic mode fixes the issue, but obviously this isn't ideal and makes the remote impossible to use in real world application. I'm assuming this isn't normal behaviour so it would be awesome if you could help us nail what's going on :)

6. Gary Haynes

Gary Haynes Administrator
    Staff Member

7. Brad Allen

Brad Allen New Member

Will do - Thanks Gary :)

8. Lliam Worthington

Thanks guys, looking into it. Will report how we get on.

Best
    Lliam