/dist/images/branding/favicon

Review of Teradek Cube

Discussion in 'Video Assist & Video Accessories' started by Gary Haynes, Feb 8, 2013.

1. Gary Haynes

Gary Haynes Administrator
    Staff Member

2. Michael Gailing

I want to jump in here to clarify the discussion found in that link. The Cube is an IP (WiFi/Ethernet) H.264 device, which means latency will automatically be involved. When streaming to iOS devices, you're looking at 7-8 frames of delay. To a decoder, that can be as low as 4-5 frames and up to 1/2 a second depending on configuration. Cube is not a competitor to the Paralinx Arrow -- that is what our Bolt product is for.

The Cube cannot be used for pulling focus, but it is a great tool for monitoring, especially on portable devices like iPads and iPhones. Whats better is that Cube can transmit great distances (for miles, actually), but it must be used with gear like a Ubiquiti Bullet.

Helicam Aero, a production company that uses a variety of UAVs, has great success with Cube. Feel free to check out their reel. You can see our Cube hanging off the bottom of their copter in many scenes.

http://helicam.aero/

We understand Cube is not the ideal solution for all copter needs. This is why we're building the Clip encoder. More info on that to be released very soon.

Arthur Vieira likes this.
  3. Gary Haynes

Gary Haynes Administrator
    Staff Member

I use the Ubiquiti Bullet. Inexpensive, easy to use, and if you were to put a directional antenna on it rather than an Omni like I use Michael is spot on about the range. My use is with a Wi-Fi Ranger for picking up remote Wi-Fi hot spots while camping.