/dist/images/branding/favicon

Remote control a m5 from a pc?

Discussion in 'MōVI M5' started by Brent Schnarr, Aug 15, 2014.

1. Brent Schnarr

Brent Schnarr New Member

I have special case where i need to control the movi thru a computer and was wondering if anyone has had any experience sending it pc commands? The pc can be connected to a radio control to actually send the commands but looking for some hints on where to look about remote controlling the actual controller.

2. Andy Johnson-Laird

Andy Johnson-Laird Administrator
    Staff Member

Interesting problem. I presume, technologically speaking, you would need to have some way for the PC to emit the same data stream as either a Spektrum Satellite or Futaba receiver. I've seen some references to doing the Futaba using an Arduino -- but not seen anything about using a PC except perhaps this http://www.instructables.com/id/Put-your-RC-car-under-computer-control/ (which didn't exactly fill me with confidence!)

Andy.

3. Jason Comparetto

Jason Comparetto Active Member

how many buttons on the radio controller would you need controlled by the PC? Perhaps if you only have a few buttons, you could rig a micro controller (like an Arduino) to a series of solenoids and servo motors to interface with the radio controller. The benefit to doing it this way is that you know it will work, and if you ever need to manually override it will be obvious. Good luck

4. Mark Hoffman

Mark Hoffman Active Member

5. Andy Johnson-Laird

Andy Johnson-Laird Administrator
    Staff Member

Thanks for that, Mark. Looks like you still need to write some software, albeit they do provide example source code so that would be muc easier that starting from scratch.

Andy.