/dist/images/branding/favicon

Remote Android Control of DSLR

Discussion in 'MōVI M5' started by W. Kern Hendricks, Jan 29, 2015.

1. W. Kern Hendricks

W. Kern Hendricks New Member

I've done some research to try to find some way to remotely control focus and other camera settings in my Canon 5D Mk III when mounted on the MoVI M-5. It seems that there is some software available that can be loaded onto a Wi-Fi capable Android phone or pad that will send signals to a TP-Link 3040 router mounted on the camera cage. The router connects to the camera via a short cable and is controlled electronically. The router sends the Canon Live View picture back to the Android to close the loop. Here are the links to three suppliers of this system:

www.dslrcontroller.com
    www.camranger.com
    www.weye-feye.com

The cost of this system is about $300 or less (not counting the Android). There are some limitations as can be seen on the above websites. Still, its cost is only about 10% of the cost a complete mechanical system with comparable features.

Has anyone had any experience with this technology.

2. Steve Maller

Steve Maller UAV Grief Counselor

Have you looked at the WFT-E7a?

3. W. Kern Hendricks

W. Kern Hendricks New Member

I was not aware of this device from Canon. It appears to function same as the TP-Link 3040 at about 20 times the cost. The reviews on B&H lead one to believe that the best use of the WFT-E7a is to transfer picture files from the Canon 5D III to a laptop, tablet, etc. The Canon website seems to support this function rather than the ability of the WFT-E7a to wirelessly control camera settings. Several of the B&H reviewers ( http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/847547-REG/Canon_5754B001_WFT_E7A_Wireless_File_Transmitter.html )
    indicated that with software the WFT-E7a could be used to control the camera. I could not find any available software to do this. Incidentally, most of the B&H reviewers gave poor reviews to the WFT-E7a.

4. Steve Maller

Steve Maller UAV Grief Counselor

I own two of them and they are terrific devices. I do use them 99% of the time to transfer photos to my laptop or iPad, but I have used them for remote control of the camera using Canon's EOS Utility. It is clunky, but it does the trick. They are expensive, though.