/dist/images/branding/favicon

Remapping Gamepad Controls?

Discussion in 'MōVI Pro' started by Vinnie Laraway, Jun 6, 2017.

1. Vinnie Laraway

Vinnie Laraway New Member

Is there or will there be a way to map our own controls to the PS4 controller?

More importantly, can we separate the pan and tilt to each joystick?

2. Deniz Ozgoren

Deniz Ozgoren Support Mage
    Staff Member

You can only remap the functionality of the left joystick and L2R2. If you write a more detailed feature request we will consider it for future updates. Explaining with a use case is always helpful.

3. Vinnie Laraway

How do you remap these?

I'd like to Pan with the left joystick and Tilt with the right joystick. It gives greater control and a more precise move.

4. Deniz Ozgoren

Staff Member

Options button: Toggles the assigned axis for L2 R2.
    Left Joystick: Vertical movement controls the value for the assigned axis. Assignment can be Focus, Iris, Zoom or Roll and can be toggled by pressing the joystick itself.

5. Vinnie Laraway

Thank you.

Still holding out for the ability to map pan to L joystick and tilt to R joystick.

Also, will there ever be a way to control speed of the roll? It's a bit fast right now, even when I feather the trigger pull.

6. Seth Lopez

Seth Lopez New Member

I would also like this feature: separating out the pan and tilt between the left and right PS4 controller sticks.

BUT!!! I could get something at least kinda close to what I (and likely others) can use with very little engineering work:

Please decrease the d-pad's speed changing steps from 20 to something like 5 or 1.

Use case: I have a slow and steady pan followed by a very slow tilt. Also I'm in a moving vehicle. On the PS4 controller doing a perfectly vertical lean on the stick without any horizontal (pan) movement isn't always easy. Especially if there are other factors at play, like being jostled around. This is compounded by the fact that the minimum speed of BOTH the pan and tilt is 20, making it impossible to have a lower tilt to pan ratio as is recommended when needing to do a slow pan.

Incredible features to have when using the gamepad:

1. Reducing the d-pad pan/tilt speed steps from 20 to a smaller increment like 5 or 1.
    2. Adjustable speed for roll on the triggers.
    3. Separating out pan and tilt between the two sticks on the gamepad.
    4. Start/stop recording for camera's connected via a compatible camera control cable (like the LANC cable).
    5. Aperture control for camera's connected via a compatible camera control cable (like the LANC cable).

6. *special credit* as this may be a weird one: a minimum distance/step size setting for the stick so small shifts are ignored. This would be useful to me for instance when inside a moving vehicle, if I can adjust the sensitivity / step size of the gamepad so bumps in the road that translate into movement from my thumbs to the sticks don't make the gimbal jostle but I can still move the stick intentionally when I'd like. The ps4 sticks have a long distance between center/default and fully articulated/up/down/left/right, seems like there would be plenty of space to play with step sizes / stick movement gradation / sensitivity for such a use case.

7. Deniz Ozgoren

Staff Member

Thanks for the details, especially for the user scenario. This will help when we develop for gamepad mode again.

Start stop should work from MIMIC. Only issue has been the fact that "Camera Type" parameter is only available in MōVI Controller menu. In v1.4 release, this will be also on the mobile Apps.

8. Andy Johnson-Laird

Andy Johnson-Laird Administrator
    Staff Member

Item 6. sounds a lot like "expo" (exponential) response in normal radio control transmitters -- the response to the sticks is non-linear -- a lot less responsive near the center position so that small amounts of thumb jitter has little or no effect -- but the responsiveness to the sticks picks up the further away you move them away from center.

Andy

Forensic Software & sUAV / Drone Analyst : Photographer : Videographer : Pilot (Portland, Oregon, USA): Trees=2, Ground=1, Props=11. :(
    The Ground Is The Limit™
    ---------- Forensic Drone Analyst : Forensic sUAV Analyst : Forensic Unmanned Aircraft Analyst : Forensic Drone Expert